Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to change the wheel bearings on my 06 450 Sportsman. First question is what is the axle nut size? Unfortunately most of my larger sockets are metric so I'll have to purchase the correct size for the axle nuts. Nest question is, if the Wheel bearings are good, can I assume there should be no play when grabbing the wheel and rocking it from side to side? I've got the wheels off the ground and the play is there but its not a huge amount. Maybe 1/8" or so side to side. For comparison I checked my Hawkeye which has very low hours and there is absolutely no side to side play.

·
Registered
554 Posts
There really shouldn't be any play in axle where it goes through the housing. 1/8" actually sounds like a lot. If you have a metric socket that's close you should be able to get the nut off. Those nuts are so big a somewhere close 6 point socket won't slip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
sometimes they are fine with no slop, but there is zero grease in them, so sooner or later they fail by locking up vs wearing to the point of obvious slop

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The axle nuts are only torqued to 60-80ft lbs in most cases so they come off pretty easy. 1 1/16 or 1 1/8" is ringing a bell for me, but not 100 sure on that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah 1 1/8" is correct size for rear front is smaller I forget proper size as for your 1/8"play might just be the plastic bushings in the lower controle arm mins the same , thought same as you but looked closer and there shot pretty simple fix

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys...........Checked last night and its definitely not the a-arm bushings. The play is in the hub/bearing. Will pick up proper sockets so I change them out this weekend.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Put the bearings in the freezer over night. They should go right in!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Did it today myself. Discovered an old arbor press in a corner at work. Froze the bearing for 8 hrs. Made a " pusher " at 73.9 mm and it slid right in ( a tip from Ridinagain ). Did not even have to heat the carrier.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thanks Guys...........Checked last night and its definitely not the a-arm bushings. The play is in the hub/bearing. Will pick up proper sockets so I change them out this weekend.
The castle / axle nut on my 2012 800 is 1 1/16"

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have a complete machine shop here at work and a crew press we use to troubleshoot progressive dies so most of us use that to press bearings in and out of our personal equipment. One of the toolmakers repaired the hub off my Subaru so yes..........its nice to either be or know a machinist.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts