Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Forum...love it by the way!

I use my sportsman to spray wheat trials...once the fan kicks on it doesn't take long for the battery light to start flashing...and the sprayer pump starts starving for power. Can anything be done to increase the electrical capacity? Could there be an issue with the charge system? Only had it for about 2 months and it just seems like it doesn't have much electrical power. Starter sounds like it doesn't really have enough, and it turns over slower than I would think it should? Not sure where to start?? Your thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Pull the battery and have it tested.
If it checks good, get it charged and reinstall.
Get a volt meter on the battery with the battery fully charged and the machine running.

What year, what model?

·
Registered
526 Posts
What is your ground speed and RPM's on average when spraying. How many acres would you spray a day at most?

One guy up the road pulls a trailer type at least 20' wide with his ATV of unknown to me type.

One shop told me if RPM's are low a 12v spray rig was a good way to kill the charging system on an ATV.

While not cheap if you was going to do a lot of spraying or drive other 12v motors or an inverter for 120v would be to pick up an AGM (can be mounted upside down with no leaking) to drive these optional devices. Of course a $75 deep cycle from WM would work is you did not spill any acid. Ideally you would mount the battery on the spray rig if the trailer type. It should last a few hours I think.

But as was posted by faawrenchbndr check out the battery by all means because it should be a buffer for the load. Read the specs of your charging system and the max running demands of the pump motor. If the running amps required by the sprayer pump motor exceeds that of the ATV charging output or gets close to that number long term it might do a number on expensive ATV parts. ChickenHawk is so right about using a battery tender when you park for the day, week or especially for the month. A fully charged battery where it cost $30 or $700 like on the golf cart can not sulfate when fully charged like they quickly do if much if setting below a fully charged state.

If you are just going to spray out a 15 gallon tank once a week and have RPM's around 3000 and your battery is healthy I would not worry about it.

I have been studying this issue because currently I do a lot of Round Up spraying out of a 15 gallon sprayer using the electric golf cart but there are off road places from time to time is not great for a stock height electric golf cart. :) The cart is perfect for mowed areas and gravel parking lot spraying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts