Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dead1:2001 sportsman 500ho
so I decided to put a sprayer on my ride.instead of putting a separate battery on like I was thinking,I hooked it up to the wheeler and guess after one time out it quit charging. Need a little help here, did I blow the voltage regulator or did I fry the stator. what is the best way to test them. not sure where to start.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Welcome... OUCH... TOUGH lesson... This was a ATV sprayer hung on the back? Did you hook it up as per manufacturer instructions? Thats designed for ATV use I would say either coincidence or something else going on...

Will it run? If so, with running disconnect batt and see what your getting for voltage at the battery cables...

Service manual time...

CW

·
Registered
255 Posts
I wouldn't disconnect the battery cables while the machine is running. I have heard and read that this can "spike" an alternator and take it out. (also mentioned in the shop manual). You should be able to just take voltage readings at the battery posts with engine running. If charging, you should see 13 -14.8 volts or so. If only battery voltage, i.e. about 12.4, it's not charging and needs to be looked at. Any testing requires a fully charged battery to start with. A Polaris shop manual is your friend....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im having the same issues. Ive checked at the battery with only 12v. Ive tested the plug to the cdi and no resistance. I guess it is the stator? But do I need a special polaris tool for the job?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts