Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Sportsman 400. There is a chattering or ratteling sound coming from around the pull cord section of the motor. Its an on and off sound that increases when reved, and stops when you let off. Sounds almost like the sound when you start the machine. Any idea what this could be, and any reason to be concerned?

·
Registered
497 Posts
It sounds like the Bendix starter gear. It could be the gear cluster or the bushings that hold it. My 500 rattled bad and got louder with engine rpm. I found that it was missing the 2 little thrust washers that go up against the little brass bushings that hold it in place. I put in new washers and it quieted right down but is starting to rattle again because the bushings got damaged when the washers were missing. One bushing is located in the recoil cover and the other is pressed in the engine crank case. Check them by taking of the recoil cover and pulling the Bendix gear out. If the bushings look good and the washers are in place and look good you might need a new Bendix gear. About $30 on ebay.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that was very helpful, and sounds like you really hit the nail on the head with that. I'll let it go for now, but check it soon as it warms up around here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts