Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dont buy these on ebay, they are larger and require chisel's to spread open your strut to insert and 1 of them just installed has no dampening at all.
I'm probably out $84 as I bought them early june, but just got around to install them now.
New Polaris ATV 1 5 8" Front ATV Struts Shocks Kit | eBay
I just bought a set of these this week, went to install them just now and realized they don't slip in!!! Just took my whole strut housing out, and even with trying to spread it, it ain't going to work!!

Anyone else got a suggestion for decent set of strut inserts for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Use chisels to spread knuckle open, I CALLED THEM THEY SAID THEY HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH BEING OVERSIZE, YOU JUST BOUGHT THEM SO A REFUND IS EASY, I BOUGHT MINE EARLY JUNE AND THEY ARE REPLACING 1 THAT HAS NO DAMPINING, NEW ARE $89 AT PARTZILLA.COM

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Use chisels to spread knuckle open, I CALLED THEM THEY SAID THEY HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH BEING OVERSIZE, YOU JUST BOUGHT THEM SO A REFUND IS EASY, I BOUGHT MINE EARLY JUNE AND THEY ARE REPLACING 1 THAT HAS NO DAMPINING, NEW ARE $89 AT PARTZILLA.COM

I did the same thing with a prybar on both sides and still couldn't get it to slip in...the factory insert slipped in and out, no problem without opening anything up.

I did gouge the hell out of the bottom of the strut on my attempts.

Did you ever come up with a replacement?

ATV Shock Front Absorber Polaris Big Boss Magnum Sportsman More Model 95 to 2009 | eBay

Saw these, but, wonder if you run into the same problem.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read online that 1980's vw rabbit struts will work, there cheap thru advance/autozone etc....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Read online that 1980's vw rabbit struts will work, there cheap thru advance/autozone etc....

I searched thru the Sachs and Bilstein catlogs in the VW sections and couldn't find any dimensions that would confirm a match.

I even looked on my factory strut to see if the was a Sachs part# anywhere with no luck.

The problem with these strut from eBay is that they are a 42mm body and the factory's struts are a 41mm. I contacted the seller and have not heard back yet, maybe since I already beat the crap out of one of them...I'll keep having a go at it and see if I can beat it in.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Once i spread the knuckle open in picture they came out by turning by hand, also make sure yours is good by pushing by hand still has dampening meaning they are slow to pull back up before you put them in, one of mine had none, which i'm returning for a replacement.
Read that VW struts will work, you need the cartridge style as them fit inside the strut with oil.
It's alot easier buying local like advance auto and easy return if they dont fit
New polaris is $89 each
Randy at ken's told me they know of the problem as other's have complained, he said of a smaller one coming?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well got my first one in...did the same as you did with a pry bar in there, and had to use a pipe over the top of the strut body to tap it in...went fairly easily.

They do seem like a good replacement, especially for the price.

Wasn't planning on taking the whole strut housing out when I first started, but, now I guess it gives me the opportunity to do my lower ball joints too?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts