Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out riding in an area they are clear-cutting and seeing just how big of a pile of broken trees I could climb.
The 570 is like a tank, snapping limbs and small trees in the way.

Suddenly the dreaded check engine light came on. I got out the book and read the code... 520207 "All Wheel Drive Control" "Driver Circuit Short to B+".

I Fixed it, brought her home and did a search on the threads for this code. I found one for pretty much everything else, but no results for this. SO... I decided to start one for anyone else that may search in the future.

Tracing the wires was fairly simple.
There is a hot wire coming from the fuse labeled "Drive" to the AWD switch on the handlebar.
From there it goes down to a connector just below the radiator fill cap.
From there it continues down to the right side of the front differential looking from a seated position.

The wire just kind of hangs there. It has black heat shrink on the last 6 or 8 inches before it enters the case.
The fuse was blown so I didn't have to worry about voltage, but pull it out anyway so you don't screw up your meter accidentally!

I disconnected the connector and used an ohm meter for the 2 wires going to the AWD switch. in 2wd nothing... switch to AWD, and got a closed circuit.
That is supposed to happen, so I knew the switch was not the problem.

Since the wire was exposed, a limb "I assume" had nicked the wire and it shorted against the frame blowing the fuse and tripping the light.

Cut the wire into where it is frayed.
Skin back about 1/4" of insulation and slide on heat shrink.
Solder the wire back together, dab on liquid electrical tape, slide the heat shrink over the area and heat.
Voila, the short is fixed.

To keep this from happening again, I took the connector and rerouted it so the entire wire assembly is behind the frame and added zip ties to ensure it stays there.

Maybe this will help someone out one day, or inspire everyone to reroute that wire behind the frame now and avoid the situation all together!

And for those who will ask, Yes I do have a butane soldering iron, solder, small multimeter, liquid and rolled electrical tape, 4 sizes of heat shrink, a water purifying straw, 3 sizes of zip ties, and a fire starter in the so called "Trunk" compartment at all times.
I keep a set of sockets, wrenches, snatch strap, water, oil, duct tape, and jack in my Pelican box mounted on the rear. Never leave home unprepared!

I cant help it, I taught survival. lol
Plus, even pushing your bike a half mile down a paved street is a pain in the err. back.

Happy riding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What did you do to reset the computer once the code activated? I had this code show up today. No bare wires to be found

1 - 3 of 3 Posts