Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to owning a four wheeler and new to these boards. I have a 2017 Polaris Sportsman 850 SP. It has about 16 engine hours on it. Recently the check engine light came on and I tried to follow the manual to access the diagnostic codes, however, it does not appear as an option. Maybe I am doing something wrong or don't understand the manual somehow. I have turned the key to the on position. The check engine light stays on. I then go into options and scroll to look for DIAGCODE. However, it does not appear, so I cannot read the code to know what I am dealing with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right. Well. That was helpful. I read the manual. If I'm not understanding maybe you could post a clarifying response instead of just being snotty for no reason.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hold the mold button until the first option pops up and then hit the down button 1 time and it should show diagcode option and hit the mode button again to select it. Your owners manual will have a list of codes to look at after if find out what they are. Are you having any trouble out of the Sportsman when the check engine light is on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve. Thanks for the reply. I don't notice any difference in how it's running now that the check engine light came on. If not for the light I wouldn't know there was a problem. I am unfortunately away from the machine right now but can get back to it tomorrow. So are you saying what I was doing wrong was going into the options menu, as in the normal settings, but if I hold the mode button longer it will go into another menu where I can access diagcode? I did see the codes listed in the manual and that's what I was trying to find so I could reference it and at least get an idea of what is going on.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes if you hold the button longer it will take you into another set of options, as long as the check engine light is on you will be able to get into the diagnostic's. But if for some reason the light ain't on you will not be able to check it. Other option you have when you get into the second set of options is to set the date and time, switch between mph/kph. Back light color and brightness and I think one or two more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah. That's the set of options I have been in. But the diagnostic codes option doesn't show. The check engine light stays on. It doesn't go away. But that DIAGCODE option is not available. But I am in the menu with mph/kph, backlight color, time, and all that. Really don't know why the DIAGCODE is not showing.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hmm, I don't know then. There was a guy on here who had a Sportsman 850 Touring model that had a intermittent check light, it stayed on all the time and there was noting wrong with it for the check engine light to be on. boulderskies is what he goes by on here, you could message him to see what he done about it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
How did you make out Styker818?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts