Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day while riding my 17 850 SP the check engine light came on. I did not lose any performance and all seemed ok but it never went off, I checked several times for codes and it only showed 1 code one time. Unfortunately I was in the middle of the mountains and had nothing to write it on, since then every time I go to start it the check engine light is always on but I cannot get it to show any codes. Any idea's?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wow, that must have freaked you out! I would have been riding back to the dealer ASAP, I don’t have a shop manual, so I would have been freaked out for sure. If you don’t have warranty I’d get a shop manual, buy one from the dealer if need be, then is get a code reader off amazon or bum one from someone. Then go from there. Yikes! I hope you are carrying gear for long camp outs, good boots to hike back to the truck, or a good cell service to get help.

Thanks for sharing. Gives me more to think about for our cross mountain trip we want to do this spring/summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Next time take a pix of code with your cell phone.....

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It did make me nervous but I was glad that it never started to act up, I ran it very hard all the way back home and it done fine so that's why I'm curious as to why the light is on. Cell phones work very few places where I live so I don't have one but maybe packing a camera would be a good idea. Anybody have any idea why the light would be on and it not show any codes?

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
[QUOTE get a code reader off amazon or bum one from someone.

Maybe someone can correct me on this, but as far as I know you can not get a code reader for your ATV. The computer stuff has not been released yet so all the information is specific to each manufacturer for all our off road stuff. The only way to get Polaris information if from Polaris (if they would sell it to you) and is really expensive. Cars and light trucks were standardized back in the 80s but Motorcycles, OHV and snowmobiles aren't there yet. I really wish they would get to that point though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Maybe someone can correct me on this, but as far as I know you can not get a code reader for your ATV. The computer stuff has not been released yet so all the information is specific to each manufacturer for all our off road stuff. The only way to get Polaris information if from Polaris (if they would sell it to you) and is really expensive. Cars and light trucks were standardized back in the 80s but Motorcycles, OHV and snowmobiles aren't there yet. I really wish they would get to that point though.
Yeah me too, I'd like to find out what's causing it so that I won't cause any damage by riding it. I really wish the code would come back on so I can see what it is.

·
8,910 Posts
I know your machine is pretty new so a I assume you'll be taking it the dealer to find the problem?
Make sure to let us know what the deal is with it.
What exactly were you doing at the time it came on?...climbing hard? was it trying to get hot? winching? running lights? etc.
Have you tried disconnecting battery to see if it'll reset? Or followed procedure to clear codes?
You got me curious.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know your machine is pretty new so a I assume you'll be taking it the dealer to find the problem?
Make sure to let us know what the deal is with it.
What exactly were you doing at the time it came on?...climbing hard? was it trying to get hot? winching? running lights? etc.
Have you tried disconnecting battery to see if it'll reset? Or followed procedure to clear codes?
You got me curious.
I was actually just setting wit it idling. I'm going to disconnect the battery to see if that does anything for it, I'm not sure I know the procedure to clear codes so if you wouldn't care to share that with me I'll try it too. If all that fails then it will be going to the dealer.

·
Registered
295 Posts

Oh, wow, I didn’t know that, thanks, I will make sure I have a power cord for my phone to take a picture of it. Hmm code readers for our machine will be the next hunt....I guess. I just don’t want to end up stranded. I alway go out with the expectation I may need to stay the night. Or simply don’t go to far up the mountain that I can’t walk back to the truck or at least back into cell service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts