Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 09 Sportsman 550 XP with EPS about 2 months ago. It overheated at about 80 miles...also developed a "clunk" in the front end when applying the brakes. The dealer called me a couple of days later and told me the ECM was bad. They replaced it quickly with one from another new unit in their inventory. I went to pick up the machine and I was told just to drive it....couldn't duplicate the clunk. I have only ridden it for about another 20 mles since I picked it up. I jacked up the front end today and locked the brake lever. I checked the ball joints and other front end pieces. The lower A-arm bushings are bad...both sides have a lot of play/movement. Will be off to the dealer again tomorow. Anyone else have tihs problem??? I have read other posts where tha ball joints have snapped within 200 miles. I have read that newer build date machines have different A-arms. This machine rides great...I just hope I can get the bugs worked out soon.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Let us know how it comes out!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah, I think I'm going to delay my purchase of a new XP, until they get the gremlins out. Even though its having some hick-ups, I still say its a more refined Sportsman than the older ones. I guess I'll have to move up my purchase date on a RZR (sooner)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Did your fan kick on when you had overheating problems?I havent had the hot light come on but it sure feels hot on my legs while riding.I think they are just like any other atv,some have problems and some dont.But ball joints snapping is a serious hickup and they could get legal issues with that one.:deal: I will have to check the ball joints and A arm bushings.Thanks for posting that one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No the fan didn't come on. My wife was riding it in our yard for not more than 2 minutes and overheated to the point that it cut off. Unfortunately she did not notice the flashing "hot" light. The ECM cured that problem though. I contacted 2 other dealers in my area today and inquired about the A-arm bushings and none of the dealers had seen any machines with worn out bushings. I also e-mailed Polaris today with my concerns and asked for someone to call me to discuss the problems. Hopefully a representative will call me this week.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Take it to the dealer where you bought it and tell them to replace the bushings.It's "Still Under Warranty" if you bought it 2 months ago.This is how you weed out the bad dealers.If they refuse to fix it,then they are a crummy dealer and make sure you post the name of the dealer on every site you can and let them know that you will spread the word.Some dealers do everything than can to avoid warranty work.Then take it to another dealer if you have one.Dont stop at one call to Polaris either,let them know the dealers you have been talking to and they will eventually make the dealer fix it more than likely.Keep us posted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer I purchased the machine from has been very good to deal with so far...no issues there. I am more concerned as to why the bushings "went out" in 100 miles and if this is going to be a recurring problem. It will also be interesting if someone from Polaris calls me.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I will be riding mine Friday and Saturday at Hatfield and McCoy.By the end of Friday I will have over 100 miles on it and then I'll check them and post what I find.Hopefully it is an isolated problem.If mine end up being bad,then I will call Polaris every day until something is done about it.I have never had to deal with the dealer that I bought it from.So hopefully they will be ok if I need anything.I get kinda irrate if they feed me a bunch of BS.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did e-mail Polaris Industries on Monday 6-8-09 (went through their website and sent the e-mail to the technical/warranty section) advising then of my past and current service issue. In my response I asked to have a representative call me. I just received their response re-directing me to my dealer. I responded with my still standing desire to speak with a live person about my concerns. So far I have not gotten what I would deem to be a very customer oriented response. I realize that I am only one of thousands that have purchased one of their products, however customer service/response is largely what helps make or break a persons loyalty for a particular product or service and the willingness to purchase their products. Hopefuly I will receive a response from a live person.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Dont hold your breath waiting for a call from Polaris,cause it probably wont happen.Ask one of the parts guys or mechanic if they can give you a number to call Polaris directly.Try to keep it on the quiet side because they might get in trouble if they give you a number.It dont hurt to ask.I think someone else posted something about getting the number from a parts guy too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trying to get a direct number from someone at a dealer was next on my list. Does anyone know if any Polaris mechanics who actually work at a dealership that review/monitor this site that may be ableto shed some light on some of the 550/850 issues?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have talked to 3 Polaris mechanics at different dealers and said they had no complaints about them yet except parts cost.That has been in the past 2 months.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I talked with my servicing dealer late yesterday afternoon. The technician was not able to provide a reason for the bushing failure. He is going to replace the lower bushings as well as the upper bushings. Additionally, he is going to replace all of the ball joints and the hub bearings. There had been a little movement/play in the L/F bearing since it was new. That issue was not addressed when the machine went back for the overheating, but it wil be taken care of now. I was pleasantly surprised that the ball joints and bearings will be replaced too. It will probably be mid to late next week before I get my "ride" back. Will update later.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thats good,at least they are replacing things without giving you the runaround.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was very surprised and very thankful that they were able to get authorization to replace the ball joints and bearings. The reason for the bushing failure still gnaws at me though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That good news, Mine are all tight hopefully that was a one time thing, but I'm still a little concerned about the front a-arms, I've read that polaris changed some things earlier this year, My 550 XP was manu. in 12-2008 are my A-arms bad? Has anyone heard about any recalls?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My 550 was also manufactured in 12-08. I have also read (can't recall where right now, most likely on this forum) about changes in the A-arms on newer production units. My dealer advised me yesterday that there are no recalls on our units and that there are no "upgraded" or different bushings. I am still attempting to have someone from Polaris Industries engineering or technical department contact me so I can get some better information. How many miles do you have on your machine? I would suggest checking the whole front end from time to time. As posted earlier the way I found out that my bushings were worn out is as follows.

1. Put the machine in park and "lock the brakes" by pulling the handlebar lever and locking it.

2. Jack up/raise the front end using a floor jack, or other suitable means so that both wheels are off of the ground.

3. Attempt to rotate the wheel forward and backwards. While attempting to rotate the wheels, look at the lower A-arms where they mount to the frame and see if you see them move. If the bushings are worn you will be able to see them move as well as feel the movement.

4. I also had movement/play in the L/F wheel when I moved the wheel in another manner. Place one hand at 1200 and the other at 600 positioin (one on top and the other at the bottom) while you are standing/kneeling with your chest facing the wheel/tire. With your hands in this position, atempt to move the wheel in and out..push and pull at the top and bottom of the tire and check for movemtn/play.

Hope that gives you a better understanding of how to check for bushing and bearing wear.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks popo, I had it jacked up last night and did similar checks and everything is tight, also checked the rear bushings, I have a little over 200 miles on it and have had it in the air several time, and to be honest I'm not use to having such a smooth landing (cushy no bounce). I am getting ready to purchase a winch don't know if I should go with WARN 3000 or Polaris 3500? have any advise?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts