Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Click on link below, or copy it into your address bar(URL)...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Interesting.
In the Harley Davidson motorcycle world, lots of guys swear by Amsoil. This would start a feud. lol

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know some guys with classic cycles and if it's not amsoil it's not in there garage but this could sway some...... I was just looking for an alternative for my Polaris.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Honestly doesnt sway anything for me. Nephew races jr dragsters all over the country and amsoil is a sponsor of theirs, they get new engines every 200 passes for compeition sake but builder always states they couldve ran another 200 by the looks of things.

I always ran mobil 1 full synthetic in my sbc race engines, had my ole reliable 383 go over 1800 passses and over 5000 street miles (which is unheard of since you typically tear down every winter and freshened them up) but eventually snout of crank snapped off behind lower timing chain gear and destroyed everything literally component wise. Anyways, when we tore it down all the buddies over for the beers and enjoyment of disecting a destroyed engine were astonished, as was i, that my mains, rods, and cam bearings showed zero sign of wear...it was as if we had just unpackaged them from new. Every engine i built from that day ran mobil full syn and results were always identical. Sold me on mobil 1 full syn. And that is what im running in my sportsman 0-40w when i change break in oil.

I dont need a wear test on a bench, i like real world results to show me results. You can test test test but real world is the "real" test :)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
You can't believe these tests

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
yep no more scary clown pics

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
There's two problems with his "test" method.
1. He poured it straight out of the bottle, as with any product that has components in suspension, lots of the proprietary aspects "settle". Think rattle can paint, do you spray it straight away, or do you shake it to mix all the internal components together....for testing such as this, it needs to be shaken to get it all mixed together. Granted you don't do this when doing an oil change, but your pouring the entire content of the bottle into crankcase, so it mixes within itself. Then when the engine starts, the oil pump remixes so it always has it's protection components in suspension.

2. I didn't see anywhere where he heated up the oil to simulate real world testing. In the automotive sector and all the oil tests I've watched and read about, never seen anybody perform it in the way this fella did. All the samples were always pre heated to a certain and expected oil temp heat range to reflect real life conditions as closely as possible.

Was one of my drag racing forums a member did a ton of different oil tests, 40-50 different brands IIRC correctly. Bob the oil guy website is full of oil testing, real world oil analysis reflecting about any situation a oil encounters from daily driver commuter cars to heavy equipment, almost like the oil authority when doing research on oil and it's properties. I'll see if I can dig some stuff up and post some links, but "typically" Amsoil always ends up near top of these types of tests and royal purple is always mid pack.

Not saying they're not both a great oil, they are both VERY capable of protecting the engines they are dumped in, these tests just boil down to "over the top" hype and a big E-dick contest on the internet. Shit, I've seen bearings guys have posted out of their mountain motors (700-1000cid BBC's) running wal mart oil, and internals looked just fine, though I cant remember which manufacturer relabels for wally world.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IHI those are some valid points, I think ill try amsoil. Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Here, this will keep a guy busy reading 10 pages :) But has some reps from these oil companies chiming in too. But yeah, the way the guy in video in first thread performed the test is about as useless as a test can be performed and when an oil gets to "that point" it's already done blown up anyways. By right, he shoulda just put in some slick 50, let the wheel make one revolution to wet itself, then just remove the oil tray and let it go...probably still be spinning to this day ;)

Actually to be honest, guy I work with has a nitro nostalgic funny car and he SWEARS by slick 50, got turned onto it by another racer at a event because they were tearing up piston skirts so bad, so they started adding a bottle and he sad, crazy as it sounds we could get 3 times the runs on a set of slugs then we could without it, but I still wouldn't use it in my daily driver LOL

Motor Oil Wear Test Results ? Caution, VERY long ? Speed Talk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not saying they're not both a great oil, they are both VERY capable of protecting the engines they are dumped in, these tests just boil down to "over the top" hype and a big E-dick contest on the internet. Shit, I've seen bearings guys have posted out of their mountain motors (700-1000cid BBC's) running wal mart oil, and internals looked just fine, though I cant remember which manufacturer relabels for wally world.
That is my take with oil. If you use what the manufacturer recommends as a minimum quality point, I believe all will be well. If you choose to spend more to protect your "baby", whether it be an ATV, motorcycle, or car, that is up to the individual. While I do believe that some oils are better than others, I do not believe that it is necessary to use them. Realistically, how often does anybody actually keep a machine through it's entire useful life so that they will see the benefit of extended service life that they pay extra for using "better" oil?

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
Most oil todays is made with a group 2 or 3 base oil...very clean and refined, and THAT is the important thing and why ya really cant go wrong with about any of the oils so long as they have one or the other of those base oils....after that, its just manufacturer additives that they create to hype their stuff....which funny enough they all use the same ingredients but call them different things lol, synergine, penntech, shit like that to stick in the consumers minds lol.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Accurate Test

if that is what, how and only what engine oil does in the real world, you decide if that is the case. :cowboy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts