Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site is extremely helpful....bought my first Polaris and already have had great feedback with 2 issues that I've fixed.....
So #3....how can I check and see if the oil injection pump is working....guy o bought it from said it did, but he didn't trust it so always did a mix....I'd love to use it if it does....need to know a safe way to check, thanks in advance

·
10,655 Posts
Shout out to latebird. He's pretty savvy on the oil injector mechanisms. I'm sure there are also others on the forum too. You might also hit him up for a service manual if he has one. The manual should have testing and adjustment info for the oil injector.
A tip for getting good responses is to always post the machine you're working on when starting a new thread so that anyone who wants to respond doesn't have to look back at your past threads to see what machine you have. (y)

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
First, did the guy you got it from disconnect the pump or let it run dry or premix and run injection also?

Testing the oil injection is just so easy - if the tank has and had oil in it while it was being run we can skip right to the test - if the tank was run dry, the pump has to be purged of air before testing.

Let me know when you are ready

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
So you have premix in the fuel tank now right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm watching this thread as well. I just purchased 2 Sportsman 90's with oil injection. Both are working AFAIK, but it doesn't hurt to check.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Did the oil tank have oil in it when you got the machine or has it always been dry. Is the oil pump connected?

Testing is fairly simple. I always like to have premix in the tank when I test because I am paranoid. If the tank has oil in it and seems to have been working or are doing a top end and want to make sure. Just pull the oil line from the pump to the cylinder off at the cylinder. Start the machine and let it idle. With your hand, operate the injection pump as if the throttle is fully open and watch the oil line. If everything is working right you will see a bit of oil drip off the oil line

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
I just spent 1/2 hour detailing the proceedeure and attaching a PNG of the page from the manual and when I hit Post Reply I was greeted with a Sorry - down for maintenance message - when I refreshed the screen the entire post had been truncated.

Frustrating!

Here's the pages from the manual sans the detailed instructions and shortcuts:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been looking on some parts sites for the oil filter in Latebird’s clip. Can’t seem to find it or the part number. Does anyone have it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
That’s showing as a fuel filter. Is it used for the oil too?

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
Just following up to see what your progress is

1 - 18 of 18 Posts