Polaris ATV Forum banner

Check your springs

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  clutch1 
#1 ·
I broke a front left spring the other day while out riding. Hit a dip in the trail going a little to fast and it compressed hard and fast and snapped. Sounded like a cannon going off when it happened. Went to the dealer and ordered 2 new springs and when I was there the service manager told me he has seen this happen on a good many XP's this year. Got them changed out yesterday and it sits a little higher so I figure my springs were getting fatigued from the amout of riding I do. If you aren't out riding and are bored might want to give the front springs a look over.

Ronnie

#6 ·
I went with the POPO HD's for the front. They were only $47.00 per spring which surprised me also. Nothing against the HL springs I just didn't want to put 2 yellows on the front with 2 blacks in the rear. With the POPO HD's in the front it looks like I got another inch or two of lift up front. I might have to get two HD's for the rear to even it out and I have the fronts on the softest setting.

Ronnie

#3 ·
Thanks for the heads up Ronnie, but like ^ DevinDDR stated, why go back with the factory compared to a better after market set?

#5 ·
I swapped out all 4 of my stock springs and threw them in the scrap metal. Riding 2 up the back would sag, even on the stiffest setting. (which I understand the machine is not designed for the extra persons weight).

I installed the highlifter HD springs on and man what a difference! It lifted the entire machine about 1", and now no more sag. And I have it on the softest setting. I do find the ride a bit rough now if I am solo riding tho. But with my GF on the back (most of my riding she is with me), it rides like a cloud.

Its kind of funny how anything aftermarket, will make your Polaris better than OEM. Lol

#12 ·
I chose the hl yellow because of the yellow lol. It looks great with sage green.

It would probably look terrible on red or blue tho.

#13 ·
My 850 touring also broke a front spring. It probably happened on one of the first rides last year when I bought it. I rode it for over 4000 miles and never noticed it until one day while greasing the front suspension I decided to tighten the adjusters a notch and found the problem. It never made any banging sounds but I did notice the front tire wearing funny on that side. Now I check all four on a regular basis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.