Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I came across this ad on Craig's List for the new "civilian version" of the Military based Work ATV..... Link: 2014 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 850 EPS WORK VEHICLE

Holly.... :shocked1: $13k w/ no warranty.

Anyway, What I really wonder and want to know is..... How will those tires ride, handle and stay balanced, when packed full of [email protected], mud or snow??? I can see how they'd work well in over the pond sand or hard pack surface, but for everyday applications?? :wtf: :dunno:

Any thoughts? Any owner experiance with these run flats?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
they released these a few months ago. 13 is a good price, of course thats no warranty. theyre 15K new.

holds 11 gallons of gas, it weighs like 1200lbs, rear rack can hold like 600lbs. its a work machine, not really intended for trail riding. you could probably get new wheels and some good 8 ply tires and use it, but im sure its not as fun as a regular 850

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it was just the first I've seen for sale or listed for sale in my area. The only other Polaris AMV I've seen locally was around a 2005-2007 model a few years back, and it was built like a tank / brick [email protected] house!

I mainly am wondering how those tires will hold up in trail/off trail "non-desert sand" applications, as we the civilian public will use it for. I do realise different tires can be purchased/added, but what I don't understand is why they just don't sell it to the public that way!?

Also kinda always wondered how it performed and handled with the added weight of the hefty rack system?! :dunno:

Tough looks quad though!!

Mainly just trying to start a conversation thread..... that didn't involve "my broken this / busted that or which tire should I run" type thread. :D

·
Registered
615 Posts
One of the dealers local to me had one on their showrrom floor last week. It was interesting looking, to say the least! To me it's more of a novelty with a tiny market of practicality!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
One of the dealers sorta near me has one listed on Craigslist..new....but no price....he also has a ACE listed...I think him being way out in the boondocks does not get the traffic....in fact he is a Crane dealer who sells polaris also...heard his prices are good..but so out of the main stream traffic...

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd agree..... if your a farmer/rancher and need a tank, you'll likely buy a Tractor or UTV. I don't see which market it would be best for. :dunno:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have never had any time with these but they sure look awesome! I do have a friend who works at that dealer who may know more about them.

and hey MustBeNice: I see Rushford is your area. Rushford is also my area, you must not be too far from me than.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
would be good for the zombie apocalypse

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes..its not a trail machine..but would work great for farms..or on Gold Rush..lol....or on oil fields...its very heavy duty....

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
hey MustBeNice: I see Rushford is your area. Rushford is also my area, you must not be too far from me than.
I'm "up stream" I94 from you a bit..... I'm located about 50 miles south on I94from Fargo ND.

would be good for the zombie apocalypse
Bring them on.
Nice..... :rofl: I'd bet that's about what it was setup like in ************ country!

Bet it would be great.... or maybe overkill...... for duck, goose and deer season! :D

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
lol..that front mount looks like a 40mm grenade launcher....that will put the hurt on big time...there is no spray an pray with that.....aim an level ..

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Oil field. Large construction projects. Don't think they expected Mr. Johnson the farmer to buy one when you could trash 2 800s for that price.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good Thread

I like the reason you started this thread.

Also, I was thinking about throwing this out there:

I was looking at the parts fiche and it looks like the springs for these will fit regular 850s. Might be worth looking into to beef up the springs on the regular 850s.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't see how they could have traction. Plus the honeycombs would bog down in mud or water.

I wouldn't want them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts