Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2019 Sportsman XP Highlifter this past weekend. I notice the when the clutch engages i hear a clank noise coming somewhere from the rear of the machine. I am not sure if its from the rear diff or the clutch area. It makes the noise right when the clutch grabs when giving the gas after switching from drive to reverse. I also hear it when letting off the gas and coasting from about 10-15 MPH. When the sales man drove the bike off the circle spinning thing on the showroom floor i also hear it then but i thought it was the stand the bike was sitting on making the noise.

Is this noise normal, is it something i need to worry about. Also what do i need to do to get the clutch to engage faster. Its pretty jerky to get going from a stand still. Is the Jerky situation harming the bike in any way

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can’t speak to the jerkyness of it. But my 2019 also makes a clanking noise when it first engages, more so in reverse. I’ve got 200 miles no issues. My can am has it’s own strange noises you just learn to live with. You should be fine

·
Registered
62 Posts
If your more aggressive with throttle it’s a lot better.when you go slow with throttle it’s worse both my high lifters do it 2019 850 and 2018 1000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i bought a 2009 polaris ranger xp 800 efi. it makes a thumping sound when you take off. some say i need a new muffler, but i do not know what it is.
i took the bed off to try to find anything that may rattle, but no luck.

·
9,429 Posts
Its just normal Polaris driveline slack. Quit babying that beast and ride it like you stole it!
Pay no attention to a little clunking noise. Its only the driveline taking up the slack in the prop shaft yoke splines. Its just the nature of the beast lol. :grin
You can reach in a get hold of the rear prop shaft and twist it with you hand to see the slack. Its only if it starts getting louder or there is movement side to side / up down in the u-joints that it needs attention. Also make sure the bolts holding the rear yoke to the diff. are tight.
Edited to reflect the rear yoke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts