Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost finished going through my 2000 Xpedition 425. I have the front hubs apart and want to make sure it's done right. I know the front hub bearings are lubricated with Polaris hub fluid or ATF Type F, but what about the strut bearings? I can't find anything in the service manual about the strut bearing lubricant. Do the strut bearings need to be packed with grease or does the Polaris Hub Fluid make its way to those bearings also? It does not appear that the hub fluid can travel freely to the strut bearings with the armature plate pressed tightly against the strut. I appreciate any help.

·
8,718 Posts
No grease. The bearings run in the oil you'll put in the hub.
I turn the fill hole straight up and trickle it in to let the air burp out so I know its getting nearly full. Then turn to about 3 o'clock to let the excess out so its at the correct level. You can also put the plug in just a little and spin then open and turn to 3 o'clock to make sure its still there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks polman. The manual shows the capacity to be 5oz and I planned to measure it out and then turn the wheel to the 3 o'clock position. After I posted this I was checking the lower ball joints and unscrewed one of the lower ball joint castle nuts by hand. The Allen bolts on the ball joint plate are stuck, but I'm pretty sure the ball joint is completely loose in the ball joint housing. Apparently the grease in this side was washed out by water and never regreased. Just another surprise!

·
8,718 Posts
Those ball joint bracket screws have Loctite on them. You need to use a torch to get them just hot enough to soften the Loctite and they should turn out pretty easy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like I am going to remove the strut so I can get the broken ball joint out. It will be much easier to torch it and get the screws out while it's in the vice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts