Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new Sportsman out for a 39 mile trail ride last week, and got it good and dirty!

So, finally purchased an electric power washer today...

Got it sort of "clean" at the car wash on the way home the day of the ride, but not really clean. Today, I pulled it up on some mechanic ramps and went to work. Now it's clean!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just a tip with pressure washers. Always, always have water. When they stop getting water, because the hose is kinked, or for a gas, you started it before turning the water on, the pumps become junk.

Also, wear some sort of eye protection!

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
171 Posts
I would like to offer my opinion also-please remember that a pressure washer will force water into places it couldn’t go without pressure. When I raced motor cross, all the bike manufacturers stated “do not use a pressure washer to clean” I’d be careful and lube the hell out of it after pressure washing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a tip with pressure washers. Always, always have water. When they stop getting water, because the hose is kinked, or for a gas, you started it before turning the water on, the pumps become junk.

Also, wear some sort of eye protection!
Yup, gotta keep your eyes covered!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got a foam cannon to use with it. Much easier and more effective than just my garden hose with a sprayer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Be careful of forcing water past the bearings and seals. Getting water into the front or rear diff by blasting it into and past the bearing and seals will be worse then a dirty machine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
One more tip. When you are done for in the fall, use some of the pressure washer anti-freeze or put the washer where it can't freeze. Water remains inside the pump and when frozen, will not be good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Gotta say, this foam cannon is great. And thanks for all the warning on getting water in places there shouldn't be. Helpful info.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, it came that way stock. I had heard about heat issues on Sportsman models, but have not had any issues with it at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts