Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a new rider i bought a 2009 sportsman 800 efi ho twin 4×4 from a dealership it was used ran great now im get a clicking noise from the rear it only does it at low speed an in reverse but not at high speed or four wheel drive unless climbing a hill what could it be ive been told it could be an axle bearing or cv joint or need greased i didnt get a manual with my quad so im clueless as you can tell this is my first quad i ever bought please help me

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just got through with my break in period and mine does the same. The mechanic said thats normal. He said its the differential gears or something....but they checked it out and said everything is ok......at least in my case, its nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is stock..the only mods i've done so far is the front rack bar and the quick lock gun scabbard mount so far. I just got it back from the 1st servicing at the dealership and haven't rode it yet but i brought it to their attention and they said that they checked it out and that its normal. idk....

·
Registered
780 Posts
Your rear cv joints are going out. Sometimes you can re-grease them and put new boots on and quiet them down for a while. Eventually, many years and miles later, the axles will need replaced.

·
Registered
780 Posts
So you think the dealership mechanic lied to me? Do you think that they are trying to get out of fixing it while still under warranty?
I can't speculate on those questions, I don't know how good of a dealer you have, it's also hard to make a 100% diagnosis over the internet. I would have a good, preferably ASE certified, mechanic from a reputable auto shop look and listen to them and get a second opinion first. Then if you back to the dealer to discuss this you have more info to present to them. Oh and reading your post again differential gears should never, ever make a clicking noise on these quads.

·
Registered
66 Posts
had the same noise. left rear cv axle bad. also housing was worn out and bearing was spinning in housing. drilled and tapped housing and installed 4 set screws to hold bearing in place and bought aftermarket axle on ebay. just took it out for some trail riding saturday and clicking was gone. good luck

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I had the same thing and upon close inspection, I had a very slight tear in the rear inner CV boot...I had also been in deep water and mud that day....I tore it down and took the CV joint apart, regreased, put new boot on it, and it has been good for the last 200 miles or so. Chances are good you have the same issue

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey guys im hopin to bring this back up...
I had my 08 sportsman 500 out the other day with my girlfriend and son, and it seemed fine. today i just went to move it in the yard and i noticed a clicking noise in reverse and going slow... didnt get a chance to check it out cause i was leaving for work.
Just last fall i changed the right rear axle and CV joint cause the spline on the axle went on me... so could this clicking noise be from the left rear axle/CV joint?
i dont do to much hard riding and the machine only has 1500miles on it so some help on were to start checking would be awsome
thanks!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I found a similar noise on my '07. Investigation found a bad cv axle, so I replaced it. The noise is still there when backing up. I have since inspected the heck out of it and can't find the clicking. Everything in the rear end is tight and won't reproduce with spinning the tires by hand while on the jack. I've decided to let it ride. If something breaks, I guess I will have found it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yea so, I figured I'd take a look at it closer and jacked up the back end so the back tires were off the ground and rotated both wheels in both directions and the sound was gone. Then I started the bike and put it in gear and pressed the throttle making the wheels spin that way. Still nothing. Wtf is going on?

·
Registered
370 Posts
drive on pavement and take a turn, if you have bad CV it will make noise then fer sure.
being a auto tech, i've seen many bad cv joints, there mostly bad on the outer joint, weird how a rear axle can go bad not even turning, it's just straight shot to the wheel at all times.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Haven't tried this on an atv yet, but I use a mechanics stethoscope when I need to isolate a sound. Jack the atv off the ground, fire it up, let it idle in gear. Place the stethoscope on various places, it will be obvious when you find the source of the clicking. As exploder noted, it may not replicate without weight/torque of turning. Note that you can save 10$ and use a long handled screwdriver instead of the stethoscope- place it hard on the point you want to test, hold the other end against your ear- works just like the tin can and string telephones from your youth :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I really wanna get to the bottom of this! Mine does it even when I'm going straight but I can only hear it at low speeds. It's loud enough to be noticeable but when I speed up, I can't hear it anymore. It's a 2012 bike so I don't understand how something can be going out on it already and I haven't ridden it hard since I got it. I'm really appreciating all the input btw, thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.