Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Phoenix won't turn over I think my old battery died because the lights wouldn't turn on and this noise stopped. I bought a new battery and I just charged and hooked up new battery and its still making the same noise it was before the sound is a clicking noise can anyone help me out please

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
My 2005 Phoenix won't turn over I think my old battery died because the lights wouldn't turn on and this noise stopped. I bought a new battery and I just charged and hooked up new battery and its still making the same noise it was before the sound is a clicking noise can anyone help me out please
It sounds like you still might not be getting enough power to start the machine. If you have a charger, hook it up to the battery and turn it on and try to start it again. If it starts, you still have a weak battery. If it doesn't it might be a bad solenoid

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I'm guessing you have a bad solenoid. Have you tried to jump it?

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Mine made that noise when the starter went out... You can get a cheap one at DB electric if so..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys I just installed my new starter and my atv will only fire up with the choke on and it will not idle if I let go of throttle it just dies anybody know what's going on?

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it hasn't run for a while, I'm betting on Carburetor. The idle jet is really really tiny, and gets gummed up quite easily.

We only ride in the winter (Desert season) and This happened to me after one summer of sitting.

You'll need to pull the rear plastic, remove the air cleaner box, pull the carburetor and clean it. If the carb bowl is really gummed up, I'd buy a can of parts dip. Just make sure you remove every seal and disassemble the carb before dipping.

When I did mine a month ago, I only dipped the bowl and the jets. Even after dipping I had to take a really small copper wire (1 strand from a piece of small stranded wire I had laying about) and poke it through.

2005 carb.jpg

it's labelled #22. Polaris calls it the "Slow Jet"

John

Edit: found a picture: Looks similar to this when removed:
polaris slow jet.jpg

If it's clean you should be able to look through it, from end to end. It is a TINY jet, so hold it up to a bright light source. If you don't see any light, it's definitely the problem.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Hey guys I just installed my new starter and my atv will only fire up with the choke on and it will not idle if I let go of throttle it just dies anybody know what's going on?
If it has set for a while just ride it some and see if it clears up the problem by itself. Run the hell out of it for a while and see what happens

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks John. Cleaning the carb def made a difference my atv will now start it just continues to die if I let my thumb off the throttle. It seems like my choke is also bad. Can a carb ever go bad or do I need to tune it or something? Any feedback would be appreciated thx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks John. Cleaning the carb def made a difference my atv will now start it just continues to die if I let my thumb off the throttle. It seems like my choke is also bad. Can a carb ever go bad or do I need to tune it or something? Any feedback would be appreciated thx
Depends on how you cleaned it, and how gunked up it was . . . In my experience, the safety throttle kill (a switch inside the little box next to the throttle) could be to blame for that. (If you barely have to move the throttle, I'd check that first). On mine, I just bent the tab that pushes on the switch slightly... You should be able to open that box (4 screws), and hold that tab off the switch. If it idles like that, then you found the problem.

The choke probably isn't bad, but the arms can get bent easily, or the cable... those mechanisms should move freely.

Best of luck,

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts