Polaris ATV Forum banner

Close Ratio AWD - Difference between my 570 SP vs 570 EPS

21K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  gibbons025 
#1 ·
Now that it's winter I've been able to notice another distinct difference between my 2015 570 SP vs 570 EPS, the close-ratio AWD. I notice it while driving around on roads where there's a mix of dry pavement and snow/ice.

The non-SP 570 stutters and jerks a bit as wheel slip occurs and traction is engaged in the front. The 570 SP acts totally different. I feel zero slip/stutter/jerk. It's quite a pronounced difference, and especially noticed when driving uphill. I'm attributing this to the close-ratio awd on the SP where the engagement to the front traction happens faster. My SP has larger tires (26" vs 25") too, so that might have something to do with it.

Anyway... This doesn't change my overall opinion that the 570 EPS is preferable to the SP due to the savings in $$$, the fact that ADC (SP) is almost irrelevant with the 570 EPS' stout engine braking, the better size (12") wheels, and better performance of the EPS (probably due to smaller wheels).

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It was a huge difference for me as well. I moved from a 550 to the 2015 850 SP and now the 1000 Touring. The close ratio AWD was something I had to get used to because it works so well. I mean it's pretty much so fast it's engaged right from the moment you press the button. It has a complete different feel in AWD from the old system to me.

#3 ·
Well now, I can think of a few members that would say the old system is the best and you guys suck at riding and neither polaris nor anybody else knows what they're talking about....you know...because you suck at riding and all with original awd system.

(Just a smart ass rant based on countless threads with guys saying they didn't like how the "old" awd system worked and the peanut gallery rushing in to try and degrade them :)

Obviously polaris tweaked the hillard for the better as evident by your guys experience, that's great news for slick surface riders and future buyers.

#4 ·
I've never noticed my AWD kick in, but I know it's there. maybe it's how I hit the throttle, maybe it's the lack of earth shattering power that the Hawkeye doesn't possess, but I've only ever notices it working when I had to engage it after the back tires stopped working and it wasn't already on.

That being said the CR AWD engages at 4% slippage vs the 20% the standard takes. on a 25" tires the Close ration takes a slip of 3.14" to engage. The standard takes 15.7". or 1/5th of a tire rotation. no way you're going to notice the rear slipping 3" while you're moving. But I can understand noticing 16" especially if you're not going to fast.

#5 ·
I don't "feel" it on my 850. I have to be on a snow-covered hill, or loose dirt; stop, switch on the 4X4 and move, slowly increasing throttle to even notice the front to stasrt driving - no noise or bumps or jerks or anything, it's just there. I think it's a great system.

#6 ·
I never notice mine either, but then again I have not ridden a new machine either.
I notice the bikes have different tires, do you think this has any effect? does either pull harder regardless of smoothness of engagement?

#7 ·
I normally don't notice the difference between machines. But when I'm driving on that dry / patchy stuff - like 70% snowy patches, 30% dry, that's when I feel it. I'm talking about when you're doing a consistent slow speed, not hammering the throttle. Those rear wheels go from pure grip, to big slip as they go over the icy spots.

I would never have thought 20% of the tire rotation will be that noticeable. But as for wheel slippage...Keep in mind the non-SP one I have still has the STOCK Carlisle tires on it which are pure crap on snow/ice unless you run 'em at 3.5psi. I normally don't have my non-SP tires aired down that low because I use my SP for plowing.

#8 ·
My 14 has the old system and I most definately can tell the engagment, made esspecially noticeable when snow plowing, you can feel back tires dig down a bit then feel the slam throughout the bike as the front diff engages.

Then I can definately feel the gearing difference front to rear when maintaining a constant speed on hard pack/slick roads...the rear end gets to wanting to go around the front end. A quick throttle blip fixes it but always that first instance I find myself readying to counter steer....then blip throttle and all is fine for a little bit until it does it again.

#12 ·
Mine is imperceptible too. Glad to know there's something good to the SP besides these darn 14's.
For the record, there is a lot of "good" with the SP in my opinion. I may recommend a 570 EPS over it.....and a lot of that is to save $1000......but what I PREFER on my SP is:
  • Close Ratio AWD
  • ADC
  • Dual A-Arms - I just like the reduced amount of sway, less boatiness in the ride. I do more "work" stuff with my rigs than play.
  • MUCH better stock tires - I actually love the stocker Maxxis tires for plowing
  • Built-in 3 headlight mod
  • Larger Stator - People will say the non-SP on the 15s have the bigger stator, but Polaris' documentation says otherwise. Not sure what the truth is here
  • Looks
  • Towing Capacity (extra 250 lbs) - And yes, I tow this much and more
  • Seat Material

I have lists of preferences for my non-SP too, and it's shorter. But money comes into play as a the big factor with things I could live without.

#10 ·
, the fact that ADC (SP) is almost irrelevant with the 570 EPS' stout engine braking, .
I determined exactly why the ADC is so much better than the engine braking feature over this past weekend while riding my property with snow and ice on the ground. The ADC does not slip wheels (at least it did not for me). Descending a steep slope with the engine brake had me sideways at times, the snow just piles up under the wheels and once the tread is loaded the machine just skids. This did not happen at all with the ADC - the descent was slower, and completely controlled.

So that for me was further validation of why I chose the SP - the ADC was one of the big factors for me and I am glad I have it now that I have seen it in action in the snow.

#11 ·
, the fact that ADC (SP) is almost irrelevant with the 570 EPS' stout engine braking, .
I determined exactly why the ADC is so much better than the engine braking feature over this past weekend while riding my property with snow and ice on the ground. The ADC does not slip wheels (at least it did not for me). Descending a steep slope with the engine brake had me sideways at times, the snow just piles up under the wheels and once the tread is loaded the machine just skids. This did not happen at all with the ADC - the descent was slower, and completely controlled.

So that for me was further validation of why I chose the SP - the ADC was one of the big factors for me and I am glad I have it now that I have seen it in action in the snow.
That is a excellent point, and one I planned to come back here and mention after more experience this weekend on an icy driveway. ADC is WAY better for descending down steep icy roads. If I let off the throttle hard on my steep driveway (or road down to my wood pile) that EBS takes over and sends my rig sideways. It's even more pronounced when I'm pulling a heavy load of wood, which I do a lot. I turn ADC and NO SLIDING. This is a benefit of ADC I never considered, and it's huge for me. I live on a very steep mountainside, so ADC is important to me regardless of ice. But I've often thought that most people don't need it - hence my comment about EBS making it ADC irrelevant. That doesn't apply to my due to my unique environment here. But now that I see what ADC does with ice/snow, I have a changed opinion on that for all riders who ride in nasty winter conditions.

Attachments

#15 ·
obviously there is a reason for ADC. Otherwise they wouldn't have it on any of the machines. That being said. it's definitely an "as needed" feature. considering that 90%+ of the population doesn't life on steep hillsides. and I'm guessing that 70% of more never ever ride steep terrain. Especially not in icy/snowy conditions. I think it's great that they lump it in with the other features available on the SP models. makes the cost a little more bearable for someone buying an SP who doesn't need the ADC. But I also like that it's not required on all models adding un-needed/wanted cost.

#20 ·
:rotflmao: good one. :beerchug:

#17 ·
I've only have a handful of times I could safely deploy the adc and it was pretty cool, could I live without it? yeah, but guess I like the fact it's there should I really ever want it/need it. Wish I had turf feature too, wouldn't hardly use it but just like adc, if I had it, it could be utilized and enjoyed when needed.

#18 ·
I wish they would offer turf mode on more sportsman models. OR just offer what the X2 has which is the whole shebang: ADC/AWD/2WD/turf

That's a lot of stuff to fit on a little tiny handlebar switch LOL. Oh and the close ratio also

#19 ·
yes, the Turf should be offered on all models. beyond a slight cost increase, I don't understand why it's not available on everything, or at least as an option. If the SP had Turf mode it would make it a much more attractive option for some people. Though I think I'd still stick with the 570 EPS, as there are to many other options on the SP that I simply don't want.

#21 ·

That is a excellent point, and one I planned to come back here and mention after more experience this weekend on an icy driveway. ADC is WAY better for descending down steep icy roads. If I let off the throttle hard on my steep driveway (or road down to my wood pile) that EBS takes over and sends my rig sideways. It's even more pronounced when I'm pulling a heavy load of wood, which I do a lot. I turn ADC and NO SLIDING. This is a benefit of ADC I never considered, and it's huge for me. I live on a very steep mountainside, so ADC is important to me regardless of ice. But I've often thought that most people don't need it - hence my comment about EBS making it ADC irrelevant. That doesn't apply to my due to my unique environment here. But now that I see what ADC does with ice/snow, I have a changed opinion on that for all riders who ride in nasty winter conditions.

I am about like you. When I was pulling my trailer loaded down in the mountains the ADC really helped going down the really steep parts. I don't use it much but when I do need it , it works wonders for me. I think it's a lot better then just engine breaking. Great looking picture by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.