Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So i just want to clear up a question i had about my 1996 Magnum 425 before i start buying a bunch of parts for it. First off, i would like to point out that it's had its fair share of wear and tear. But it make a loud bang or clunk noise when riding (my guess is the struts are shot). But i was curious if a loose steering shaft could manipulate that same type of noise during riding. I cant mimic the bang when i have it stopped by pulling or compressing the shocks and releasing. There is a slight play in the handle bars but very little.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Hey guys,

So i just want to clear up a question i had about my 1996 Magnum 425 before i start buying a bunch of parts for it. First off, i would like to point out that it's had its fair share of wear and tear. But it make a loud bang or clunk noise when riding (my guess is the struts are shot). But i was curious if a loose steering shaft could manipulate that same type of noise during riding. I cant mimic the bang when i have it stopped by pulling or compressing the shocks and releasing. There is a slight play in the handle bars but very little.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Shocks/struts could be an issue, but you should be able to see the slop in the shaft at the body. My car has gone 130, 000 miles without the struts failing. If this is a 4X4 also take a look at the front driveshaft. u Joints and where it attaches to the front Diff. On my 325 4X4 i found that the u joints were shot (replaceable) and at the front diff there is a splined yoke that is only held in place on the front differential pinion by a roll pin. I had a lot of slop in that too. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
When those universals wear out they have a tendency to bind and release upon spinning causing the clunking sound. Jack it up in the front and spin the tires and see if you hear or feel anything.
If all else fails, strap a radio to your front rack and crank it up. The noise will go away. LOL!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts