Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance if this has been covered before. I just didn't find anything related to it when i searched.

My 2012 Sportsman 500 Ho does the clunking/clicking noise going down hill, it also locks up the rear wheels depending on how steep the hill is and has added to my shitty gas milage due to being on the throttle all the time to go down a hill. It's a drag to say the least, so much so that at times I put it in neutral to "free wheel" it.

My old 99 Sportsman had the engine breaking on it but it wasn't nearly as bad as my 2012. So my questions are, is there a way to adjust this? Does anybody else have/had this same problem?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Rear wheels locking up is from the EBS. There's a few complaints about it around here. It's probably worse (more noticeable) now because its new and everything is still stiff but it won't go away and it is not adjustable. You could remove it and maybe trade clutches with someone from a non EBS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It crossed my mind that maybe it would get better once broken in—like the gas milage will. If adjusting is not an option, I think I'll wait it out and see where I'm at after a few hundred miles are on it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't have EBS on my 500 HO and it is noisy as hell when going down hill with no throttle. It sure got my attention first ride. It's just drive train noise that all these machines seem to make. This is the noisiest machine I've ever driven.

·
Registered
71 Posts
coincidentally my 2012 500 makes this clanking noise as it goes down hill as well. Seems to be coming from the back end too. I dont know what it is either. Seems to not effect the machine but is annoying though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yup, it sounds like it comes from the rear on mine too. What annoys me the most is how much it holds back and locks up the rear wheels. Seems it could cause more harm than good when descending down ruff terrain. However, my previous 500 with EBS was fine other than the brake chatter and the EBS worked perfect, not too much to hold you back but just enough to relieve some brake pad wear.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
My 400 does not have EBS, but does have a lot of compression braking. I also have the backlash in the driveline going hills, and would rather have that than a rear prop shaft to worry about.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The clunking noise is normal guys. If you have ebs than it is not. It is the clutches letting go so you can roll down hill. If your bike clunks then rolls freely your ok if it clunks then keeps the back tires locked and sliding then you have a broken part in your clutches somewhere. BTW if you have a 2011 or newer 400 or 500 it did NOt come factory with ebs..

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
BTW if you have a 2011 or newer 400 or 500 it did NOt come factory with ebs..
The mossy oak comes with factory EBS standard.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts