Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so i hear a clunking in my front end when i give it a shot of gas. But when im driving and give it more gas its perfect. Its only when i give it a shot of gas that i hear it im thinking u joint on the drive shaft ? What else could it be ? 2005 sportsman 500

Thanks, Jacob

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does it do it when also over bumps when giong slow?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope! Only when you give it a shot of gas starting off, and sometimes it does it when you cram on it doing 30 or 40 but not all the time when steady throttle or speeding up without craming on it, it is perfect the whole time.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Maybe check your u joints and axles. My 600 used to do it also when starting off or giong up bumps dealer said its normal and its gear lash.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Axles are fine how do you know if the ujoint is bad ? Also when driving it sounds like a rattling almost like the winch hook hitting off the bumper, i cant seem to find what it is its around the gear shifter underneath the gas tank any ideas what it can be ?

Thanks, Jake

·
Registered
326 Posts
A bad u joint will have play so one side will turn and the other wont like this.

·
Registered
326 Posts
For the winch rattle is coming from the winch rollers put some grease on were the contact and rattle will stop.
https://db.tt/pVdHpoWe

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright thanks a lot 05sportsman600 for your help! Ill Do this and let you know how it goes !

·
Registered
319 Posts
I used to have an annoying rattle in the front end when i hit the gas and then when i slowed down or hit the brakes it went away. When the dealer had installed the brake pads they did not adjust the allen head properly so they rattled in the caliper and it was crazy annoying. Took me a while to figure out where the noise was coming from I thought it was my new axles i installed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My break pads are fine but my front driveshaft does have play in it about 3/8" up and down and a little side to side is this normal ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does it have play in the U joint or doesnt come from the propshaft or inside the diff.??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The front u joint seems fine but the back one seems loose the front of the prop shaft is tight but twards the back it seems to have play. Is this the ujoint on the back side of the prop shaft?

·
Registered
326 Posts
On the front drive shaft it has to have 2 U joints. That play on the propshaft your talking about is normal . If the u rear u joint has play that might be the cause for the clunking. Or i could also be the cluthes causing the clunking. How many miles do you have on the fourwheeler?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im thinking its the back u joint. I have 2800 miles on it. How hard is it to change ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also can you change it with the propshaft still on the machine or do you need to remove it ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Its fairly easy if u have the tools. You would need to remove the whole drive shaft. Remove the pin from where the shaft connects to the differential. Then slide it out from the poropshaft where it connects from the tranny.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Thia shows you how to replace

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright so im im right i have to remove the foot well, pop the pin on the differential side out push it back and it will just come right off off the shaft where it connects to the tranny? How do you remove the pin from the differential side ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
You would have to get a tool that will fit through the hole where the pin is and hammer it out, put some wd-40 on the pin so that its easier to remove.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts