Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Sportsman 500 HO and when starting up and at low RPMs there is a clunking noise on the right side. Sounds like the piston is shot almost; however, it only has 83 hours and rides like a champ. I just changed all the fluids and the oil still looks new after a few hours. It just sounds horrible and yet it rides fine. I bought it used from an older guy and it was by far the best one I looked at. I tested others and they all seemed to be noisy. I may have forgotten how noisy they are or should I be weary.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks everyone and especially to 1200Bruce. Please, give me some insight to my problem. I am sort of scared to ride it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Be more specific on the noise you are hearing.

Is it a constant linear noise or is it sporadic? Does it go away when you run the motor up to higher RPM?

Is there an excessive amount of vibration associated with the noise? Can you "feel" the motor (assuming that's what it is) making the noise? If you put your hand to the crank case is it palpable?

It could be anything from valvetrain noise to a loose bearing. You say it rides well though? Might be nothing. Is this a model that has a clutch? If it does, try engaging the clutch fully while the transmission is in the neutral position. If the noise stops, you're simply hearing the neutral gear set. I have a 97 Ford Ranger 5spd that makes a clunking noise when it's sat in neutral for a while. As soon as I engage the clutch the noise stops. If that's the case there's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to the Polaris dealer and they told me it was the starter slowing down at start up. Moreover, it was the exhaust baffle that was creating the noise at certain rpms. I just got a good deal and I was worried about it not being one. Thanks ya'll for the welcome and support. I am a new atv owner and a this my first dirt motorcycle/atv. Compared to the Polaris side by sides the 500 Sportsman HO is so much more noisy. I know they are V-Twins and fuel injected; however, I was worried about the noise even though it ran fine. I guess the noise made me paranoid. I'm riding it today after it clears up here in GA..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts