Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 800 sportsman...I have creeping and hard to shift issues....one way bearing on the primary seems to be fine, belt seems to be touching outside sheeve on the primary with not much clearance on the inside one so I took the secondary clutch off to remove a shim, but it only has one behind it. so what do I do now. It has a moose belt which came on it when I bought it. It has had no issues
until the last time we went riding. Could the belt be shrinking and tightening up. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
There should only be about .020" clearance for the belt on the primary with a new belt. Must aftermarket belts are not as good of mfg specs as Polaris ones. It's probably a little shorter than the original so you would need to get the secondary to open up a little at idle to allow the belt to sit down in it a little further.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-4.. Im going to get a oem belt and try that. This belt has been on for about 50 hours with no issues. Is it possible is has grown a little wider over time. How would I go about opening the secondary a little wider for the belt to get a little more slack?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a way to align it with only one shim behind the secondary? The secondary needs to go inward to get the belt from touching the outer sheeve on the primary

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Move the motor to the side, but that's a ton of work. If it is just touching and there really isn't any side pressure it should be fine. They make spacers in different thicknesses too. Maybe you have a think one and can go thinner?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the exact same problem. What I had to do to fix it was move the entire engine over. It was a pain in the butt. But the work was worth it because it's solved my creeping issue and my hard to shift issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok...I milled .050 off the back of the secondary and my belt is still rubbing the outer sheeve on the primary...looks like I'm going to have to move the motor over. front bottom mount has a groove what do I do about the front top mount and the 2 rear ones

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Have up checked the mounts them selves closely? They can break causing misalignment problems.

CW

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Remove the one shim and try it. Rev it up in nuetral to make clutches spin, then let them stop and see where belt is riding, dont really need any shims behind secondary, If you get belt centered and it still creeps, ebs washers are probably worn in primary, need a puller to get it off and special tools to get it apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts