Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or heard of a modification for the clutch cover ?
Such as a 1" 90 degree watertight fitting that could be mounted onto the clutch cover in the centre of the secondary clutch. Using a piece of 1 "
pipe leading up below the seat for the intake. The movement of the secondary clutch fins would draw air in and the existing vent pipe would provide hot air exhaust.
I run roads a lot and am in water to the top of the wheels only sometimes.
I put on 500 miles easily in 5 days of consecutive running.
The 3 buttons in my helix in the secondary only last about 700 miles max.
On my Trail Deluxe snowmachine I have 13,000 miles and the same type of
primary and secondary clutch only slightly larger.They run in colder weather
and in open air. The wear is minimal in comparison. I replaced the wear buttons only once in both primary and secondary and they had more than 60%
wear remaining.
The only big difference I see is the temperature. A single vent pipe does not
provide good ventilation.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
what model

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I wonder if the buttons are made of the same type of material.
Helix , same material?, Ramp angles the same?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
clutch ventilation

Helix is made of aluminum, 3 ramp angles are the same, buttons are made of a hard plastic/nylon. I asked the dealer and he said the buttons should not wear so quickly. He suggested a mouse's nest in the vent pipe would cause excessive heat and wear. There were No blockages in the single wrap over the gas tank pipe. After reading different articles it would appear that heat is a major contributing factor.
If Polaris would design a belt cover that incorporates an intake and an exhaust
channel within the same fitting at the top of the cover that would improve
air circulation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Currently I am looking for a 3/4" or 1" hose fitting that would be a waterproof adaptation to cut/fit into the belt cover in the center of the driven clutch to provide air flow in. Hot air would flow out the existing pipe.
A threaded fitting with a flange for waterproofing and a barb for a removable pipe to run up under the seat. There is not much room inside between the cover and the driven clutch.
Who sells such a pipe fitting ?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Try McMaster Carr for fittings. I dint think you're going to move as much air add you think that way. Some rzr guys running marine bilge fans to pull air out of the housing. Maybe that's an option? Any damage to the helix ramps? Bushings worn?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Just get a roller secondary and be done with it. Slider buttons are for golf carts I cant believe polaris still uses them to this day. The roller secondary has been on mine for 1400 miles now and I cant detect anywhere on the rollers. Its as tight as the day I put it in. If the 500s are clutched right and no mechanical problems are present clutch heat doesnt seem to be a problem with them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500. I also have issues with clutch buttons failing. A 2011 clutch cover has an intake and exhaust. I get about 500 miles out of mine also. I do not believe it is a heat issue. My buttons seem to wear thin, then crush. I polished my helix to a mirror shine and they still wore quickly. I since have switched to the black buttons and have not had a problem yet. If the black buttons fail, I will switch to a roller.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clutch heat

I am using black buttons now. The originals were black also. The dealer gave me the worn originals after doing the initial 500 mile check up with the quote
" I put in new ones -no charge ".
Where did they locate the intake on the 2011 ?
What is the catalog number or where did you track down the secondary with rollers instead of buttons?
I understand there is a "kit" including primary, secondary with rollers and a belt. Does anyone know where to track that down ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You can just install the secondary from a 500 with EBS. The newer the better as there are a couple different versions of the clutch used and the 06+ is the best version. You could use one from another model, but would then have to find the correct helix and spring for it too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts