Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the starter on my 97 explorer and the original cover wouldn't fit on properly. The groves on the top end just couldn't line up. Put a used but great shape cover on from a trail boss, fit great. Now I'm afraid to turn it over, the thing is rubbing so bad it's scary. Any thoughts on getting the old one back in shape and how it may have gotten that way?

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
They can get distorted from heat. Once they are out of shape you are pretty much stuck with what you have. You can try to find another one or let it rub and self clearance for a while.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They can get distorted from heat. Once they are out of shape you are pretty much stuck with what you have. You can try to find another one or let it rub and self clearance for a while.
Which part warps exactly? The cover or the back plate? Should I be concerned about leaving the top not sealed properly?
I'll put the original one back on for now.

Thanks Stave.

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
The outer cover gets the worst. Inner can get distorted too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
9,488 Posts
If you're getting that much heat to keep warping covers that often you probably have excess heat from clutch and belt issues that need addressed.

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
I can’t say how often it happens, but I have seen it on some of the older machines I have worked on. The one on my lift right now is a 1985 trail boss. Outer cover was worn through from the primary rubbing on it. Doesn’t look like it has been worked on before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
9,488 Posts
Yeah I've seen a few of the older ones that probably warped as much from old age as heat lol. I thought he was saying he already replaced it once and now that one is warped too??
Ok, I reread the original post and it sounds like you may have gotten the wrong used replacement cover or something else is wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I've seen a few of the older ones that probably warped as much from old age as heat lol. I thought he was saying he already replaced it once and now that one is warped too??
Ok, I reread the original post and it sounds like you may have gotten the wrong used replacement cover or something else is wrong.
"something else" is what bothers me. As soon as I get the chance I will switch them back and see.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll see...

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
You might be able to get your original to work back into the groove in the inner cover. Maybe try some heat on the inside at the top and see if it will come back up. It is important to have that cover sealed since water on the belt will not work out well for you. The belt slips if it gets wet so you want to get it sealed up as well as you can.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might be able to get your original to work back into the groove in the inner cover. Maybe try some heat on the inside at the top and see if it will come back up. It is important to have that cover sealed since water on the belt will not work out well for you. The belt slips if it gets wet so you want to get it sealed up as well as you can.
Thight about that. Upon pulling it apart yet again today, the primary clutch is rubbing the inside cover/plate. And now, of course, I can't seem to remove the clutch bolt. Electric impact won't cut it. I don't get it, it worked the first time I removed it... This is why I'm in construction. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
I think the top flat part of the outer clutch cover may have heated and sagged into the space occupied by the clutches and belt. You should be able to see where it's rubbing and how bad. Maybe if you can get the top lip into the inner cover you can make it work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the top flat part of the outer clutch cover may have heated and sagged into the space occupied by the clutches and belt. You should be able to see where it's rubbing and how bad. Maybe if you can get the top lip into the inner cover you can make it work.
Just wanted to report starts and runs great. I had the back cover plate on wrong. The one screw hole that goes behind a bracket was in front of it causing it to run on clutch. Sounds great now. Thanks for the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts