Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here and will be needing some help, I bought a 1998 Sportsman 500 new and still have it. It has 2000 miles on it and it's like new. Never seen mud, snow, rain or darkness. Love that machine.
Well to get to the point, I just picked up a project a 1996 6x6 that has been abused. The primary has rubbed through the cover. I was wondering if I could get a updated cover that has more clearance or just live with what I can find. I am trying to keep this project as cheap as possible so I will be going used on most parts. I had to replace the inner and outer covers on my 98 because of heat warping. Towing a lawn roller in drive not low gear. Also wondering what years will interchange ?

thanks KK4

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
late 1990's models would sometimes warp the clutch cover when you shut off atv and motor was very hot , I was told by my dealer to always let bike run a few minutes before shutting it off to reduce heat inside clutch cover. I had a 1998 500 and it had warped,/ rubbed deep inside cover. Have never had a issue since. That cover new is probably close to $100 now days.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have been on the internet for about a hour , I have come up with 2 part numbers for the same part.
Wondering what the difference is #2633926 and 5433542
A few sites say they are interchangeable Can someone help me out ?
later KK4

·
Registered
964 Posts
The difference is one fastener around the secondary clutch. The first # is the newer version with this extra fastener and also a drain plug. I can not vouch for figment of the newer cover on the old back cover, but I like the extra fastener. I added one in the location on my 99 to help it seal better as the plastic deforms and would not seal well in that area.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see Old 509 added a bolt with a washer on it to help hold the clutch cover on where there is no mount on the cover. Good idea I was wondering what to do. Thanks for the picture.

KK4

·
Registered
964 Posts
It's very close to the secondary clutch inside of the cover. I had to take off some of the 1/4" bolt head that's inside the cover. If you do it just be sure to check for contacting the clutch and belt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A recap as old 598cc suggested I did get the new model 2633926 and it fit better than I thought, although it does use a little different bolt pattern. Nothing that isn't a quick easy fix. Instead of building a extra bolt mount I think I will just put on a few extra factory clips for now. I'm glad I found some help. Sometimes it's a little hard to come buy on forums. I'm going to order another one for my sportsman.
thanks 598

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 96 Polaris magnum 425 2x4 and I was looking on eBay for an outside clutch cover and the only one I found with free shipping and a reasonable price is for a 2004-2009 Trail boss 330 will it fit my 96 magnum? All the pictures I have seen online look like they are all about the same size and about the same depth... thanks

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
The original part was number 5431961 - it superseded to 5433542 - it is listed as fitting the following models:
2004 used part 5521578 which superseded to 5521738 - it was used on:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts