Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a 2011 XP 850 Touring for about a week now. It was doing the hard engagement in reverse and a little bit in high. I've owned a dozen different Sportsmans but never had this issue. I figured it was due to the belt slipping so I got a new Highlifter 3GX and now it's worse than ever. The quad is actually jerking in forward and still really hard in reverse. I know how to change belts, and I know it's on right. It almost seems like the gear case is slipping and jumps in and out.
Advice anyone PLEASE. I love this machine and don't want it to be a money pit. There less than 1,600 miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The plot thickens. Just loaded it on the trailer to take to my work shop, put it in low to go up the ramps, and started up the ramps and was jerking and bucking. Something is not right. Any ideas?

·
Registered
424 Posts
History on the machine, what is the RPM at? Hours and mileage? clutch maybe on it's way out, how was it ridden prior to you? do you know? previous owner? maintenance? did you do the fluids? It does sound like a clutch issue? need more info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought the 850 a week ago. Maybe put 10 miles on it since. Other than that, no history. As far as RPM, I start the machine put it in gear and nothing until I give it some gas, then boom it connects and off we go. I'll take note of the exact RPM tomorrow. It wasn't until the new belt went on that it started messing up in in forward. Figure maybe the new beat has tighter tolerances than the old one, but the old didn't look too bad I've seen a lot worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Did you wash the new belt and clean the clutches? What is the hours/mileage at?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, took the air tip and blew all the dust off and out of them and then wiped off the clutches. Can't say I've ever heard of washing a belt off. Please enlighten me.

·
11,146 Posts
Yep, you're supposed to wash the mold release residue off a new belt with warm soapy water prior to install but I doubt that is your problem. Sounds like you have clutch or tranny issues. Drain the tranny oil into a clean container and inspect it for metal flakes and check for broken spring in the driven clutch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I have it figured out now. Took it to my work shop, took EVERYTHING on the rear off so I could see the clutches working and long story short, the quad doesn't like the new belt. ?
Couldn't find anything wrong with the old one, looked pretty new, reinstalled it and back to normal. The new belt was a Highlifter 3GX HLP212. I did wash it, dry it and still had the same bucking issue. I'll try to post a video.
Thanks to all for your input!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts