Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 700 Sportsman.
My drive clutch exploded the night before last. It also took out the inner and outer case as well as the driven clutch. All told about $1000 in parts.
I am left wondering how this could happen and if anyone has had this happen to them. DO I HAVE A LEMON?

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
My drive clutch exploded the night before last. It also took out the inner and outer case as well as the driven clutch. All told about $1000 in parts.
I am left wondering how this could happen and if anyone has had this happen to them. DO I HAVE A LEMON?
Welcome to a great forum.
OUCH!!!
How old is the machine?, Miles?, Hours? Any other signs like belt slipping before the catastrophe?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
If the clutches get hot, and they will to a certain degree, and especially when water gets in there, it can cause the clutches to develop very small cracks. When you continue to ride the machine at that point, it gets to the point the the clutches will explode apart from the stress they are under.

Regardless, that really really sucks. Sorry to hear man.

·
Registered
434 Posts
this happend to me mine never exploded i was resealing my clutch cover with gasket silicone because it had leaks i got alot of water in there and let it heat up and heat up theres pics in my profile of how hot i let it get i was in swampy muskage and kept trying to drive out with it slipping and i think the combination of it getting hot then fresh water in there instantly cooling it cuased it to crack........SEAL YOUR CLUTCH COVER ........i bought a new clutch for 550$cad and sealed mine with gasket silicone and tested it buy filling it with water(while shut off) it never leaked drained the water and havent had any slippage / water getting in there since

·
Registered
877 Posts
WOW that sucks
im glad they put the clutch in the back instead of next to my leg on the XP :)

this happend to me mine never exploded i was resealing my clutch cover with gasket silicone because it had leaks i got alot of water in there and let it heat up and heat up theres pics in my profile of how hot i let it get i was in swampy muskage and kept trying to drive out with it slipping and i think the combination of it getting hot then fresh water in there instantly cooling it cuased it to crack........SEAL YOUR CLUTCH COVER ........i bought a new clutch for 550$cad and sealed mine with gasket silicone and tested it buy filling it with water(while shut off) it never leaked drained the water and havent had any slippage / water getting in there since
i dont think i would test it by filling it with water when metal gets wet it rust
rusty clutches are not good
i would test it by going in a creek real quick and then pulling the drain no water ur good :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
steal rusts when its wet clutches are made out of aluminum aluminum doesnt rust

·
Registered
877 Posts
ur right but
they arent made of only aluminum there is steel parts in there to (or atleast there used to be havent really looked at the newer ones or the polaris one for that matter)

·
Registered
434 Posts
not positive but im 99% sure only parts that are steel is the bolts and the springs

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I run sleds as well as quads. My quad is a four stroke engine. I have seen sleds that turn twice the speed of a 700 Polaris. Not to mention snow always gets inside a hood, thus the clutch gets wet. However I have never seen one explode.
This really leaves me shaking my head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/QUOTEQUOT my
I run sleds as well as quads. My quad is a four stroke engine. I have seen sleds that turn twice the speed of a 700 Polaris. Not to mention snow always gets inside a hood, thus the clutch gets wet. However I have never seen one explode.
This really leaves me shaking my head.
I buy a go kart 4 months ago
I just use it like 3 weeks & I was whit my 3 years old kid" My go kart clutch exploded on my face 😞 the car dealer say "that's my problem & I have to pay everything" 1 big pice of the clutch hit me just on my mouth
What can I do???
Sorry I don't speak English well

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have never exploded one, but i was real close on one of my sleds. Have to inpsect them regularly. There are some normal wear parts that if replaced sooner rather than later are much cheaper. I ended up buying a used primary and used secondary and rebuilding them, it was quite expensive. New bushings, rollers, pins, weights and spring. If the idiot i bought it from would have repaired it sooner I wouldnt have had to buy new cores too. Hope you didnt get hurt, seen pictures of people with scrapnel impaled in their legs from this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts