Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Polaris ranger 500 midsize crew. When riding around after a few minutes I slow down to stop and the motor bogs down due to the clutch not disengaging. 1 of the 3 fingers hangs up. I have to pull the cover off and bump the finger and the clutch releases to normal position. Any idea of what may be causing this. I have looked but I can not see anything broke or loose. I'm out of ideas and after about a dozen times of this happening I'm getting frustrated.

Thanks, POUNDTOWN.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cariboo, I am tearing it down tonight to do that. Have to pick up clutch removal tool first.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Has the belt ever let loose on your machine?

How many miles and hours on the machine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

4000 miles and hrs.
belt was shredded about 2500hrs. replaced it but it looks brand new.
I cant get the damn clutch off, its starting to get to me. all the videos I watch they pop right off with the clutch puller.
I was told not to put an impact on it but it may come to that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Impact

4000 miles and hrs.
I cant get the damn clutch off, its starting to get to me. all the videos I watch they pop right off with the clutch puller.
I see them at the dealership. They use an impact. I don't think it is a good idea. The first time off can be a real bugger. My bike only had 1000 miles on it when the one way bearing took a crap. I tightened the crap out of the puller bolt and it still would not come off. I was contemplating the Impact gun myself.

Gave it a few more really hard turns and gave the head of the bolt a couple if whacks with a ball peen hammer. That did it. I have had it off several times after that and each time it just pops really easy. They must really over tighten them at the factory.

The hammer is probably as hard on it as the impact but my other option was take it to the dealer and spend $100 to have them take it off with an impact.

D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

4000 miles and hrs.
I see them at the dealership. They use an impact. I don't think it is a good idea. The first time off can be a real bugger. My bike only had 1000 miles on it when the one way bearing took a crap. I tightened the crap out of the puller bolt and it still would not come off. I was contemplating the Impact gun myself.

Gave it a few more really hard turns and gave the head of the bolt a couple if whacks with a ball peen hammer. That did it. I have had it off several times after that and each time it just pops really easy. They must really over tighten them at the factory.

The hammer is probably as hard on it as the impact but my other option was take it to the dealer and spend $100 to have them take it off with an impact.

D
I will give it another try, if it comes to an impact ill take it easy and use a hammer. something gotta give eventually.

Thanks Deucer

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
Put Teflon tape on the threads of the puller. Put 4 or 5 turns, lots. Squirter some water into the end of the crankshaft where the puller goes, quickly insert the puller so you don't losee all the water. The hydraulic action of the water multiples the pulling force tremendously. Sounds crazy but it works. Just did it on my can am yesterday. Used impact and a hammer and no go. Water trick popped right off.

Tip bike up/ jack up if you need to get the water to stay in there.

Report back. Good luck!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I used a ratchet strap and hooked it to the clutch and to the bike frame to keep it from turning and used a a 14" breaker bar instead of a ratchet handle on the puller bolt. I am no wimp but I gave it all I could muster up and it didn't come loose until I gave it a few hammer whacks.

I rode snomobiles for years and sometimes had trouble with one of them, but nothing like the one on my ATV.

D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I used that trick on my sleds but they were easy to lay on their sides to fill with water. My sportsman 850, the clutch is length ways in the bike. I would have had to stand it on it's front wheels to fill it with water.

D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good idea with grease. The first time I tried the hydraulic trick I used oil. It came off ok but made quite a mess to clean up. I used water several times after that. Less cleanup. Once I got the clutch off my 850 the first time, it has come off easy every time from then on.

I will use the grease the next time a get a real stubborn clutch.

D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Heat the rear clutch sheave with a heat gun on high setting. Expands the aluminum. Put some tension on puller bolt first then heat it will just pop off. Will expand .001-.002" be inch of bore. Same can be said with cooling a part with dry ice or liquid nitrogen. Shrinks the bore or shaft in size

1 - 14 of 14 Posts