Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is a 425 Magnum 1995 4x4 ...
I am making progress and have installed a new flywheel and my 4 wheeler is running again but i removed the clutch cover to check and see if the motor was frozen...
replacing seems pretty simple but now the clutch is hitting the protective plastic casing when the motor is running? If I give it gas and the clutch moves inward it stops.....as I let off the throttle it starts hitting the casing again .....off course making a bad mojo noise.I have reseated the outside casing a couple times?
In testing I removed the clutch cover carefully giving it throttle and the noise is gone so it is definately something to do with cover?
Any ideas? Thanks!

I should have mentioned it is hitting the end of the case....the sides of the clutch dont appear to be hitting anything....it looks like the bolt is bottoming out on the side of the case?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Notorious for warping the cover, make sure you installed the inner cover correctly, if you took it off, the outer warps on the top downward, take a closer look it wont line up with inner cover seal

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I didnt remove the inner cover?
that may be it I had a bitch of a time getting the last bolt by the starter relay in and had to replace it with a nut and bolt.....the case doesnt line up evenly I thought something was weird?...whats the fix? please dont tell I have to buy another cover...and take the clutch all apart just to get a case cover on?

·
Registered
376 Posts
i had a problem after i replaced my topend few weeks ago, the inner cover was not inside the lower bracket toward the front, it was warping the inner cover, took it back off and repositioned it

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm only metal bracket is in front at bottom and the rear protecter is bolted behind it?
It does look like a warping issue. IS there a certain procedure for getting it back on? i.e. front to back....there is a groove for the seal all the way around...in the front is has a plastic spacer like lip. Its a pretty wide gap?. Is that supposed to go inside the seal area....doesnt look likeit would fit there?

·
Registered
376 Posts
the outer cover's warp, but alot of people say replace both same time, on mine there's a small bracket in the lower front that screws to the frame on the bottom

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thats what mine has but I never removed it and its bolted with the plastic closer to the engine. I could reverse the bolt and move the plastic to the outside if thats what you mean...cant believe I have to replace that cover now...dang...
and it didnt make noise before I removed it so there has to be a way to put it back the way it was?
Does anyone know specifically what part of the cover gets warped?
Maybe I can mess with that?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok going to mess with it some this morning and see what I can do....just cant throw another 100.00 bucks into it right now...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Solved

Ok with some jacking around I got it fixed and back on without noise. What I did was put it on with two bolts...started it and kind of moved the cover until there was no noise.Then notatiing the location put those bolts in first...then started again...next bolts etc...it didnt really take too long ....You can use the warped cover but you have to play with them to get them back on with out rubbing!
I started by shifting mine as far front as possible and bending the bottom metal mounting bracket forward/outward away from the frame with plyers...
probably depends on where it warped at?

Thanks Xploder...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't get my clutch cover off

My clutch is making a noise so I started taking the bolts off but I cannot get two of the bottom ones off - the bolts just keep turning - any ideas - please help?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Notorious for warping the cover, make sure you installed the inner cover correctly, if you took it off, the outer warps on the top downward, take a closer look it wont line up with inner cover seal
Can I use a spacer on it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts