Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
honestly its pretty easy to do on your own.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long did it take for you to do it yourself? I just got the four wheeler and I hate working on new stuff on my own. I just got a set of 28” mega mayhems for the 550 and was gonna put a clutch on as soon as i got some wheels for the tires. What procedures does it take to get to the clutch housing?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Will take you about 2 hours if you've never done it before. An hour if you have any clutching experience at all. Just need a compressor for the secondary that you can make out of a piece of threaded rod and a few nuts and washers for about $5-8.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cost $60 at the dealership. I thought that was fair enough. Really happy with the kit also.

·
Registered
71 Posts
and you're going to love those mayhems.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did my clutch myself and it took me about 3 hours only because I took my time. It really was pretty easy. I also used this video -
and it helped out alot. I would buy a clutch puller. Got mine off ebay.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's good to do it yourself just to learn about how it works and how to take it apart. Just changing the belt is easier. But if you ever need to change the belt in the woods. You'll be a pro after doing a clutch kit. I got one from Ridinagain this past week for my touring. I had some questions and called him up. He's a great classy guy. And I recommend getting one from him and becoming familiarized with the clutch and belt changing process. Best of luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for response guys. Just ordered my wheels for the Mayhems. Next payday I will be ordering a qsc clutch kit!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are ya’ll using as a clutch press? To be able to get the 4 screws with lock tight off? By the way the video made me persuaded me to tackle this on my own haha.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Get a piece of 1/2" threaded rod about a foot long, double nut one end and slid a washer on. Then put it through the secondary from the back side, drop on another washer and thread down a nut to hold it together. Heat the 4 helix screws up with a propane torch a little to break the Loctite free, then remove them. Spin the nut off and take it apart. swap springs, put helix back lining up the Xs and thread the nut back on to compress it back together. Little fresh Loctite on the screws and put them back in. Super easy and costs about $5 to make.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts