Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we were riding the creek pushing pretty hard. After a stop for lunch, about ten minutes back into riding my 500 HO would not go any faster than 20mph pushing 6k+ on the tach. After about 20 minutes of this when I let up on the throttle slightly is seemed that the clutch started to react like it is supposed to. It was a hit and miss all the way back home. The gear shift was in high gear.

Today I pulled off the belt cover thinking I would see a trashed belt. To my surprise everything looked perfect, no signs of water or any other damage.
Has anyone ever experienced this? My machine is a 2013 500 HO sportsman, and of course the warranty expired 4 months ago.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did go through some water but it was almost a hour later when I started to have the problem. When I pulled off the cover there was no signs of water, you think there would have been stains or something.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Was you in low gear? Sounds like glazed belt.

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If you were riding in the creek in high gear, you may have glazed the belt. Riding through the water actually puts a good amount of force against the ATV. I would start by changing the belt.

·
Registered
900 Posts
You could try cleaning the clutch sheaves and the belt. It does sound like water got in there then it dried out. If you did "glaze" the belt , try cleaning it , then scuff it up just a little with coarse sand paper. It should grab like a new one then. If not change the belt.
Try reving the engine with the cover off and watch what happens. You may have some broken clutch parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts