Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m pretty good with cars & trucks but I’m new to ATVs, so please forgive my newb-ness.
My 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI EBS won’t idle in gear. It runs fine until I stop in Hi, Lo or Reverse and it immediately dies.

Replaced belt with OEM with no effect. Motor mount is good.

Contemplating replacing the clutch, but don’t want to throw money at it until I’m sure that’ll fix it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m pretty good with cars & trucks but I’m new to ATVs, so please forgive my newb-ness.
My 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI EBS won’t idle in gear. It runs fine until I stop in Hi, Lo or Reverse and it immediately dies.

Contemplating replacing the clutch, but don’t want to throw money at it until I’m sure that’ll fix it.

I would remove the belt cover start the machine and watch your secondary clutch. At idle it should not be turning. If it is I would rebuild both clutches.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,304 Posts

Welcome.gif
to the forum
Cheers.gif

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly. You will be given more advice than you could hope for.

Reactions: Dunedain313

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would remove the belt cover start the machine and watch your secondary clutch. At idle it should not be turning. If it is I would rebuild both clutches.
That would be a bummer if both clutches were bad. I know the primary often wears out, but is the secondary clutch prone to wearing out?

·
Premium Member
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
135 Posts
When i bought my 2004, 700(used last spring) both clutches were bad. The driven clutch was so bad it could not be rebuilt and i had to replace it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When i bought my 2004, 700(used last spring) both clutches were bad. The driven clutch was so bad it could not be rebuilt and i had to replace it.
Did you have it looked at by a shop? How were you able to diagnose that it had to be replaced?

·
Registered
11,903 Posts

I battled a Chinese scooter with fuel injection that had the same symptoms - a valve adjustment fixed it.

If you can't DIY, take it to a dealer for proper diagnosis and repair.

·
Premium Member
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
135 Posts
Vibration and jerky starts.
No shop i can't afford that and i can do the work myself.
I figured out i had clutch problems when for what ever reason i tried pushing on each side of the inner sheave on the driven clutch and it would wiggle back and forth. Took it apart and found the inner shaft was beat to heck and could not find it available by it self, So new driven clutch fixed 90 percent of my vibration problem. New drive clutch fixed the rest and its very smooth now but does have the wrong EBS bearing. separate issue though.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts