Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 polaris 800 and I just put 27" zillas on and I lost some of my low end while in H gear should I clutch it or shim it? (stock clutch still installed)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I f you plan on doing more mods I'd do a complete clutch kit. If your done with the mods just a red spring should handle it fine. Get ready for new axles!!!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Usually a clutch kit is needed if you went to bigger tires.
You only shim your clutch when it's out of alignment or your belt isn't running in the center of your primary clutch.
Trying the heavier red primary spring will help you.... Your engine will rev higher before the belt engages and that means more power.

Kevin

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you kno if I need any special tools to change the clutch or just the springs?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have an 01 so not sure if your set up is similar, probably is though.
To change the spring , just remove the outer cover, (careful , it has a little spring tension on it) replace the spring , torque the cover screws back on. (check manual)
To remove the clutch , remove the center bolt and use a puller which threads into the center bolt hole and hits the crank shaft, popping the clutch off the tapered shaft. (you can buy a puller or make one)

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts