Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this Bike, And the last one i owned was a yamaha 350 20+ years ago. I have a 2017 XP 1000 ( Bought Used) now has about 62 hours and almost 600 miles on it. I have no issues shifting it, sometimes might get binded that causes me to maybe rock it back and forth, but no issues. I guess I'm not sure on the amount of force that it should take to shift. sometimes, it's like butter, sometimes I have to apply more force, but nothing that has me saying "Damn, I can't shift this thing.

This weekend my daughter wanted to put around at like 3 MPH. She could not shift to save her life. Is it the size of the machine that makes it it tougher to shift, or should i look into and aftermarket clutch kit?

Looking for thoughts or input, maybe I'm looking to deep into something that is normal. :)

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
15,182 Posts
One-Way beraing in the Primary Clutch is binding up.

Old One-Way
Land vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

New OneWay
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Metalworking Machine tool

#2 in parts diagram
Product Font Auto part Parallel Diagram

Reactions: Modern44

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One-Way beraing in the Primary Clutch is binding up.

Old One-Way
View attachment 148109

New OneWay
View attachment 148110

#2 in parts diagram
View attachment 148111
Is this common to go so fast if this is the case? I am not in the area of thinking i may get stuck, but more curious. I've seen videos of just swapping this bearing out and it seems straight forward. If i do this, would it benefit me to put in an upgraded kit? Kill two birds with one stone I guess

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
That picture is my bearing from a 2019 850 sp Premium at 855 miles

• Wow
Reactions: Doc8404

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
If it shifts easy with the engine shut off, and hard when running its the One-Way bearing

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
You can put an upgrade clutch kit in at anytime. The Primary clutch can stay on the ATV to do this. The secondary clutch has to be removed to change the springs. Also would suggest to change the square pucks in the secondary to rollers from HunterWorks

Wood Rectangle Auto part Hardwood Metal

Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Rim Gas

Reactions: crazyflyboy30

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it shifts easy with the engine shut off, and hard when running its the One_-Way bearing
Makes 100% sense! Yea, so i can shift without thinking I'm in an arm wrestling competition when its off, so i guess that's a good thing. Maybe my daughter is to fragile and weak still is the problem lol. But i do think soon that bearing could be an issue. So the spring in the clutch has nothing to do with the shifting, not more that that one way bearing then?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can put an upgrade clutch kit in at anytime. The Primary clutch can stay on the ATV to do this. The secondary clutch has to be removed to change the springs. Also would suggest to change the square pucks in the secondary to rollers from HunterWorks

View attachment 148112

View attachment 148113
What benefit do the rollers add compared to the square pucks?

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
Whats hgapening is the Primary beraing is shot and the belt continues to turn the secondary and thats what makes the hard shifting. Just pull the belt cover, start it, it should look like this when in Netural or Park. Primary spinning, secondary stationary
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
2 benifets

Your secondary sheeves will wear out quickly and then you throw the secondary clutch out. Them pucks are very hard on the clutch surface they contact.
Up and down shifting is very smooth

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Gas Rim Auto part

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
Just so you understand, A clutch kit has nothing to do with you shifting gears. A clutch kit changes the RPM's that the clutches engauge/grab ahold of the belt and take off.

Two compleatly different functions.

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
Look at the wear in the clutch metal on post #15, this is at 850 miles. The pucks slide in the metal, the rollers roll.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just so you understand, A clutch kit has nothing to do with you shifting gears. A clutch kit changes the RPM's that the clutches engauge/grab ahold of the belt and take off
I understand now, the whole time I thought they played hand and hand. How, I dont know...thats why I asked. I have zero shame in asking a question lol. Thanks for putting it politely FDP!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts