41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
In Park - both primary and secondary spin while engine runs
Neutral - both primary and secondary spin while engine runs

Any gear after - only the primary spins while engine runs

should i see if it spins while engine is off?

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
15,041 Posts
Hey bud! Yes clutch is still on, i haven't taken it off yet. I just wanted to see what it was doing. But it is spinning when the engine is running.
That is NORMAL. The Primary is gear driven through the transmission and will ALWAYS be rotating when the engine is running, (onlky exception to that is if you snap the trans input shaft). What you want is when the engine is ideling Primary is spinning, the secondaty is NOT spinning

Reactions: Gmartino100

·
Premium Member
15,041 Posts
In Park - both primary and secondary spin while engine runs
Neutral - both primary and secondary spin while engine runs

Any gear after - only the primary spins while engine runs

should i see if it spins while engine is off?
NO need to look any farther, REPLACE your One-Way bearing in the Primary clutch

Reactions: Modern44

·
Premium Member
15,041 Posts
If you found a Dealer willing to do the labor to replace it for $45. JUMP ON IT! That's a deal!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
That is NORMAL. The Primary is gear driven through the transmission and will ALWAYS be rotating when the engine is running, (onlky exception to that is if you snap the trans input shaft). What you want is when the engine is ideling Primary is spinning, the secondaty is NOT spinning
Gotcha, Can the one way bearing still be bad? the ease of shift when the ATV is off is smoth, running....shes a angry momma! lol

Any way to tell, take the belt off and see if rotates both ways?

·
Premium Member
15,041 Posts
This is what it should look like in Neutral and Park

Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire

·
Premium Member
15,041 Posts
This is what your One-Way bearing will look like when removed from the Primary VS New one.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire

Wheel Automotive tire Rim Metalworking Gas

·
Premium Member
15,041 Posts
  • Haha

·
Premium Member
15,041 Posts
Let us know when you pick it up, it may be more than that $115

·
Premium Member
2018 Sportsman XP 1000 63 1/2 wheelbase
910 Posts
I'm new to this Bike, And the last one i owned was a yamaha 350 20+ years ago. I have a 2017 XP 1000 ( Bought Used) now has about 62 hours and almost 600 miles on it. I have no issues shifting it, sometimes might get binded that causes me to maybe rock it back and forth, but no issues. I guess I'm not sure on the amount of force that it should take to shift. sometimes, it's like butter, sometimes I have to apply more force, but nothing that has me saying "Damn, I can't shift this thing.

This weekend my daughter wanted to put around at like 3 MPH. She could not shift to save her life. Is it the size of the machine that makes it it tougher to shift, or should i look into and aftermarket clutch kit?

Looking for thoughts or input, maybe I'm looking to deep into something that is normal. :)
I saw you say that if you rock it back and forth it would shift than that is not the
one-way .
My one is working I have to do the rock thing only in to get out of low.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Let us know when you pick it up, it may be more than that $115
$160 even lol

Ok, So here's the deal...( I don't know where to start so bare with me :) )

Polaris called me today and said that one way was so bad it was actually cutting into the shaft. ( Old one way was in pieces). They told me They could put the new one way on, but couldn't tell if that was going to actually fix it, they insisted i buy a new primary to be honest because the damage to the shaft it sits on. They asked me what i wanted to do, and sitting at my desk at work , that was the last thing i wanted to here.

Either way i was paying the hour labor, and i said, what's the worst that could happen, put it on and i'll just see if the problem is still there. so here's the deal:

All gears, from High all the back down to Park - both primary and Secondary spin, and it definitely creeps now in gear which it didn't before

Am i looking at a new primary clutch, and if so, what's the best direction to take? The good news I replaced the belt and that works

41 - 60 of 89 Posts