Polaris ATV Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
There looks to be more space on the left side than on the right side between the belt and the clutch, is that correct?
There looks to be more space on the left side than on the right side between the belt and the clutch, is that correct?
I need to get a better photo! but it does look like that, but i dont know what "right" looks like lol

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
15,041 Posts
Washers #5
Font Slope Art Drawing Line art

Reactions: Modern44

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
15,041 Posts
Yes, secondary clutch has to come off to add or take away washers from the back side. Remove the bolt and the clutch comes off in your hand, no special puller needed.

Reactions: Modern44

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Yes, secondary clutch has to come off to add or take away washers from the back side. Remove the bolt and the clutch comes off in your hand, no special puller needed.
10-4. Well, i'll be busy all day tomorrow smoking some turkeys which i'm starting in a few hours, but friday i think the ladys are going shopping! Applying simple theory, if i have more space on the inside of belt, then i should add a washer, vise versa if it was the other way. hope it's that simple so i'm not taking off and putting every back on every 20 mins lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
I am confused now, but this is actually a great detailed thread, just read through 85 post, very good!

·
Super Moderator
16,204 Posts
No, the secondary doesn't have to come off to align. Only the bolt. Adding or subtracting shim washers under the bolt either pushes the secondary farther in on the shaft or allows it to run farther out on the shaft to align with the primary.
Its on the older non-XP machines that you add/subtract shims UNDER the secondary.
The pictures are a little fuzzy but looks pretty centered to me. If the belt is squealing hard with the brakes held I'd suspect they may have the one-way installed backwards. Everything is exactly opposite on the XP clutches vs the older machines with clutches on the side of the engine. Its very easy to get confused on assembly even for experienced mechanics. Pull the belt off OP and check which way the one-way turns and which way locks. If that's the problem the new one-way will be a little burnt/blue looking too rather than bright and shiny new. Don't ask how I know this lol. 😁

NOTE:
EBS: The one-way bearing should rotate clockwise
(when viewed from cover plate side) with only a
slight amount of drag. When rotated counter-
clockwise the one-way bearing should lock to the
shaft without slipping.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
If the belt is squealing hard with the brakes held I'd suspect they may have the one-way installed backwards. Everything is exactly opposite on the XP clutches vs the older machines with clutches on the side of the engine. Its very easy to get confused on assembly even for experienced mechanics. Pull the belt off OP and check which way the one-way turns and which way locks. If that's the problem the new one-way will be a little burnt/blue looking too rather than bright and shiny new. Don't ask how I know this lol. 😁

NOTE:
EBS: The one-way bearing should rotate clockwise
(when viewed from cover plate side) with only a
slight amount of drag. When rotated counter-
clockwise the one-way bearing should lock to the
shaft without slipping.
It is turning clockwise if im looking at the cover plate. I took better pics of the belt, and that thing is centered IMO the best it'll be, so i didn't pull the bolt from the secondary, i just felt no need to mess with it (I'll post better pics after this response.

The dealer called me and told me how bad the shaft was after they removed the bearing. It was stuck and seized so bad that they said it was cutting into the actual shift, and it was was out of spec totally and was not sure if the bearing change would actually fix the issue, and recommended a new primary because the back sheeve and shaft wasn't a replaceable/orderable part.

Last night I ordered a new OEM primary for $609, I bought new weights and a clutch limiter spacer also. I'll use the spring on the old primary. if the shaft was that bad, i didn't want a ticking time bomb and if i could prevent anything happening for $600 i thought that was my best option 🤷‍♂️

81 - 89 of 89 Posts