Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my QSC clutch kit and it's my first time doing this mod. My question is where do you place the shim, between the spyder and primary spring or between the spring and primary cover?

Did a search and could only find info on using both shims. I just want to run the thick shim and didn't want to put it on the wrong side of the spring.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Ridinagain will chime in but you put it in against the clutch and put the spring on top of it. Not sure if it makes any difference in the long run but this its the easiest way to do it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks guys. I thought that's what the instructions ment,just wanted to be sure.

Cant wait to see the difference:veryhappy:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After reading another thread I'm second guessing the thick shim and maybe just going with the thin shim. I ride hard pack and mud what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I went with the thin shim. I like the lower RPM engagement.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I went with the thin shim. I like the lower RPM engagement.
Right on, will it still lift the front end up if you goose it?
I have absolutely no idea. It feels like it might but as there is 3 feet of snow and the roads are slicker than a strippers cleavage. When this Mini Ice Age is over I plan to get out where I can get some traction and see.

I have two and only one QSC so I will be able to give a good side by side comparison. I will tell you that it smoothed out the engagement a ton.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I have the large shim right now and am going to pull it out in spring. I got used to it, but it feels like a sled, you have to rev it so high.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I will start with the small shim, thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The thin one will keep it close to stock engagement, but way smoother, and is where most 850 riders with bigger tires prefer it. The thick will start to feel very sporty in comparison and is often to much for most guys. And in soft terrain it can dig badly when you want it to take off gently. Not hard to swap it out if you don't like where it is to start with.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are there any instructions that are posted online that people can look at prior to ordering/installing?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Are there any instructions that are posted online that people can look at prior to ordering/installing?
It is really simple actually.

Remove the clutch cover

Mark the spider, the cap and the clutch with an X so it goes back together the same way it came apart.

Remove the bolts from the cap and put in the new spring and the shim of your choice. Put back in the bolts that hold down the cap making sure you line up all the "x's"

Remove the secondary, remove the c-clip if it has one or open up the clutch. Remove and replace the spring. Reinstall. If the clutch has a c-clip then make sure you rotate the one sheave about a 1/3 turn counter clockwise to make sure the helix sits tight on the buttons.

Reinstall the clutch cover and enjoy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts