Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of ways to get a little more umph out of my wheeler, She's an 05 400 and does about 45 top speed, which is not bad for the size but it would be cool to get a little more power out of her. I figured that the easiest/cheapest/quickest way would be to get a clutch kit. Anyone have a good luck with clutch kits from EPI or others? Any horror stories?

She's Pretty much stock other than one size bigger Mudlites

Had a KFX 400 before and that thing flew! I wish the sportsman had that kind of power, Completely different drivetrain though :(

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Go with QSC. Contact Ridinagain, he is a qsc dealer and EXTREMELY knowledgeable when it comes to clutching.

Basically you can either have one of two things: More acceleration down low/Midrange and loose top end OR More top end but sacrifice some low end and mid range.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go with QSC. Contact Ridinagain, he is a qsc dealer and EXTREMELY knowledgeable when it comes to clutching.

Basically you can either have one of two things: More acceleration down low/Midrange and loose top end OR More top end but sacrifice some low end and mid range.
Thanks I'll do that, any Ideas on what they come with? I looked on their website and it shows just two springs and some weights. I didn't know if that was just a generic picture or not. The EPI's come with a Helix for the secondary. not entirely sure what that does.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
You won't get any more top speed. But you will definately notice a bump in acceleration with a clutch kit.

Another +1 for Ridinagain

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You won't get any more top speed. But you will definately notice a bump in acceleration with a clutch kit.

Another +1 for Ridinagain
Is 45/50 normal for the 400?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Well.......my wifes 300AWD rolling 25's (two sizes over stock) tops out in the mid 40's BUT it takes it awhile to get there. Hits about 38 pretty easily then just starts creeping sooooo.......:nixweiss:

My 500 can tickle 60 so I would think that the 400 at least hitting 50ish would be about right. That's F'in moving on an ATV IMO, most our speeds we ride are 10-20mph LOL

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well.......my wifes 300AWD rolling 25's (two sizes over stock) tops out in the mid 40's BUT it takes it awhile to get there. Hits about 38 pretty easily then just starts creeping sooooo.......:nixweiss:

My 500 can tickle 60 so I would think that the 400 at least hitting 50ish would be about right. That's F'in moving on an ATV IMO, most our speeds we ride are 10-20mph LOL
Haha True! There are some trails up here in Northern NH that are actually dirt roads or old railroad beds where it would be cool to open it up once and a while. I can hit 40 no problem but i need a down hill + a tail wind to hit 50 and a push from my Girlfriends dad's 800 H.O. twin to hit 55!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
45ish is about normal for a 400. The QSC kit for the 400 comes with springs, weights, and helix. The whole setup. Not sure what the EPI price is at now days, but the QSC runs $319. Will give you much better low and mid range without any top end loss. So you will get to 45ish much quicker without the top end loss of many other kits.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
45ish is about normal for a 400. The QSC kit for the 400 comes with springs, weights, and helix. The whole setup. Not sure what the EPI price is at now days, but the QSC runs $319. Will give you much better low and mid range without any top end loss. So you will get to 45ish much quicker without the top end loss of many other kits.
Something to think about! It's a wee bit much for a broke college student right now though.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
:hail:The Clutch God hath spoken:hail:

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I am looking it up correctly it is only $219 for stock tire size?Just bought a 400 for the misses to ride and hate the stock engagement.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I am looking it up correctly it is only $219 for stock tire size?Just bought a 400 for the misses to ride and hate the stock engagement.
Weird, I was actually just looking at that when i got the Email saying someone replied haha, I saw that as well. The $319 one is for the 27"-28" tires?

·
Registered
388 Posts
not trying to highjack the tread but how fast do the new 2013-2014 400's go
hoping faster than 45

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes he has spoken. :)

Also to add: Since you have a bit larger and heavier tire, which robs a little HP, It would be well worth it to get the clutch kit.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
My price sheets say $319 for all versions of the 400. I can say I've only sold 1-2 kits for them and don't recall what setup they were. When QSC reopens next week I can double check for you. But I also know that their site has not been updated for about 2 years.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome thank you, I don't want to upset anyone but wouldn't that make them legally Obligated to sell the kit for the price advertised?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Not upsetting anyone. Good to check prices and keep people honest. Does it list the specific parts included in the kit? I don't think so, but haven't looked in a while. Then they can include whatever they say you get for that price. I know they have kits listed starting at $139. But if you ask for it, you will just get the weights. And it won't work right at all on almost every application. I'll let you know when I know.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope no "included parts" description just lists the part number as CK-P400-26 for the Lowest elevation fixed weight clutch kit. The 2000'+ kit list for $249 on the site. It looks like (and this is just from the picture) the $139 kits come with just springs and weights.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts