Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed dalton industries several weeks ago about a kit but I have yet to hear back from them. Ill as around here and see what you guys think. I live in the bush Alaska and have a 2011 850 xp eps efi, I use it for hunting, plowing snow, and everyday errands. Im goingvto run 27" swamp lites and I am wondering their 850 kit is the right kit for me or if I would need a xustom built one. Or do you guys think I should keep it stock. Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
QSC is a real popular kit on here, lots of positive feedback on it. Ridinagain deals with this product on this site, he is extremely helpful & usually is prompt with his replies, however, he has an illness in the family so please be patient if he does not reply right away. Send him a p.m & he will try help you as soon as he can.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I emailed dalton industries several weeks ago about a kit but I have yet to hear back from them. Ill as around here and see what you guys think. I live in the bush Alaska and have a 2011 850 xp eps efi, I use it for hunting, plowing snow, and everyday errands. Im goingvto run 27" swamp lites and I am wondering their 850 kit is the right kit for me or if I would need a xustom built one. Or do you guys think I should keep it stock. Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Hang in there, the folks at Dalton will reply. Still un decided.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I can help you with a qsc kit if you're interested. They run $219 plus shipping and I'd have to check it to Alaska. But can't be worse than $20 I bet. In stock and ready to ship in Monday.

·
Registered
558 Posts
^ Best to go through him for a QSC clutch kit. Learned the hard way.

For what you are doing and the weight of the 27" swap lights I'm surprised your looking at a clutch kit, then again never rode an 850.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Did you have a Dalton?

For what you are doing and the weight of the 27" swap lights I'm surprised your looking at a clutch kit, then again never rode an 850.
Nope, QSC shipped the clutch kit last week, it's sitting on my desk right now actually, I need to pick up a secondary puller so I can install it. I was told QSC was the way to go.

I received 3 weights, one primary spring, one secondary spring and two shims for behind the primary to raise the engagement point to 1800 to 2200 rpm depending on the shims I use.

I didn't get an explanation of the kit or what the silver/green and silver/black springs will do but I'm sure if you buy it off of ridinagain he will explain it well. I bought mine from 2koolperformance in Canada here, Spence treats me great but hard to get any contact from QSC.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Did you have a Dalton?

Nope, QSC shipped the clutch kit last week, it's sitting on my desk right now actually, I need to pick up a secondary puller so I can install it. I was told QSC was the way to go.

I received 3 weights, one primary spring, one secondary spring and two shims for behind the primary to raise the engagement point to 1800 to 2200 rpm depending on the shims I use.

I didn't get an explanation of the kit or what the silver/green and silver/black springs will do but I'm sure if you buy it off of ridinagain he will explain it well. I bought mine from 2koolperformance in Canada here, Spence treats me great but hard to get any contact from QSC.
I dont think you should need a secondary puller, not on as tight as the primary.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The secondary should slip right off, it slips onto a splined shaft so no need for tight fit.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
No need for a secondary puller, just slides off. after you remove the belt and retaining bolt. If you look on the package the kit came in there are words printed on it that the parts are written over so you know what goes where. Not a lot of instruction should be needed. Swap out the parts that are currently there for the ones in the kit. Shim bag has a sticker on it as to what the shims will do to engagement RPM. You will need to set up something to compress the secondary helix and spring as there is a lot of pressure on that one. A piece of 3/8-1/2" threaded rod with some nuts and washers will do it easily. A little heat on the bolts holding the helix in will help release the loctite on them.

Both springs have different rates than stock to work with the new weights. The total package will give you stronger low and mid range power than before with a quicker backshift, and you will not lose any more top end than you already did with the larger tires. If you have any questions on the install and need some help, feel free to get ahold of me through here or call. 651-707-6706
Ryan

·
Registered
214 Posts
Now that's customer service...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My experiences with QSC were awesome! They took my riding info and matched up a kit to work with my altitudes and uses.

After installing my kit without any shims, the primary would not release grip on the belt at idle. So it would creep in gear and made it a PITA to shift from low to high. Thankfully I tested all this once I installed the kit and watched the belt shift with the cover off before finishing up putting the cover and tires back on.

I fixed the creep issue by using the 1/8th shim to bring engagement to 1800RPM. For my 850 bike it would actually engage around 1400-1500, too low for my comfort although the engagement was buttery smooth and the power just seem to keep gushing from motor. So I threw in the 1/4th shim to bring it to 2200 RPM and brought it to about 1800-1900 engagement with nice bite on the belt. Now she just gets its! It could be due to the weights and their profile curve that was selected for my riding.

See my post here from a while back for a write up on installing the kit for an 850
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-xp/42163-clutch-kit-difference.html#post289298

·
Registered
4 Posts
Altitude variable for clutching?

What differences are caused by altitude for CVT clutch operation?

I've read through references for clutching, and I think I understand how the primary and secondary clutches work. But, I don't understand where altitude factors into the operation.

What does altitude affect as far as clutching with CVTs? How does it change the works if you're at lower or higher elevations?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
What differences are caused by altitude for CVT clutch operation?

I've read through references for clutching, and I think I understand how the primary and secondary clutches work. But, I don't understand where altitude factors into the operation.

What does altitude affect as far as clutching with CVTs? How does it change the works if you're at lower or higher elevations?

Thanks,
John
Altitude indirectly affects the CVT clutching. As you take the bike higher in elevation the air is thinner. When the air is thinner, there is less fuel being added and thus less power. That changes the powerband of the motor. EFIs can compensate to a certain degree but will still be affected by it. Think of it as driving your car up a mountain road. At the bottom of the mountain, you floor it and she gets up and goes. Do the same at the top road on the mountain and she'll struggle to accelerate. Same thing happens to all NA (naturally aspirated) engines.

So, with the power band shifted you need a kit that is designed to help keep the secondary backshifting during the power loss and the primary pinching tight enough to not let the belt slip and burn up...especially in HIGH gear. All the while keeping the engine operating at its optimal RPM for the torque requirement needed at that present time.

A good clutch kit will have weights, a primary spring and a secondary spring all merried together for your average riding conditions. Since mine is mainly trail with some mud, at elevations between 3k-10k ft, QSC recommends my kit get set for 6k ft...happy medium.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
That's a great explanation. Typically the only change needed for higher elevation is lighter weights in the primary. Something that you can easily change out if going on a trip somewhere up high. Otherwise, like AMDFOREVER you need to set it somewhere in between and live with the difference at the extremes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts