Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 sportsman 500efi ho with 26inch reptiles on 12 rims what clutch kit to get the most response out of her, any help appreciated

·
Registered
43 Posts
Definitely go with QSC !! look up ridinagain he's on here. he will get you the right set up for your bike and get it to you fast.

·
Registered
275 Posts
QSC would be the clutch kit that I would suggest.:fing02: Sure woke up my weak 400.

·
Registered
257 Posts
No doubt these guys are speaking the truth. Get a hold of Ridinagain and get the QSC. I bought mine from Adam at QSC before he got extremely busy but he told me back then that he custom grinds the weights for your application and if I change tire size or anything call him again and he will get me different weights.

You get a custom kit for your machine and application and great customer service.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So I am 30 years old, just got my first quad, 2010 400 HO, just bought it to puts around my prpoerty, but now this forum has me all hyped up about quads, that being said, I am a newbie to quads, what benifit does a clutch kit give you on an automatic atv

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would also like to know the advantages of one, only thing
I do know is I can go thru belts in a hurry. My ride is listed in
Below in my signature below

·
Registered
257 Posts
So I am 30 years old, just got my first quad, 2010 400 HO, just bought it to puts around my prpoerty, but now this forum has me all hyped up about quads, that being said, I am a newbie to quads, what benifit does a clutch kit give you on an automatic atv
Basically a clutch kit consists of 2 springs, maybe some shims, and 3 weights. The primary spring on the drive clutch attached to the crankshaft changes the engagement speed of the clutch in engine rpms. The stiffer the spring the higher the engine rpms needed to cause the clutch sheeves to come together. The weights use the weight of those plus the shape of them to adjust how quickly the sheeves come together. Basically by adjusting the weight of the weights and how they are ground are used to adjust how quickly the clutch spools up to keep the engine in its best power range without over revving the engine. The secondary spring goes on the driven clutch attached to the transmission adjust the backshift of the transmission. This adjust how quickly the quad "downshifts" when letting off the gas to slow down to get the atv back into the power range of engine rpms.

Someone like Ridinagain will hopefully chime in but this I believe is the jist of it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would also like to know the advantages of one, only thing
I do know is I can go thru belts in a hurry. My ride is listed in
Below in my signature below
Outlaw you are burning through belts quickly because the larger heavier tires are causing more resistance than the stock clutching was designed for. You may need a stiffer primary spring and different clutch weights to not let the clutch spool up as fast to keep the engine rpms up. The higher the engine rpms the stronger the hold is on the belt. If you are mudding it is very important you use low gear to keep the rpms up to keep a tight grip on that belt.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Get a hold of Ridinagain as he can tell you exactly what you need to get the best out of your machine. By far the best mod to any atv in my opinion is a QSC clutch kit. Keep in mind all OEM manufacturers are trying to cater to a very diverse number of riders so what works for me trail riding doesn't work that well for the guy who is turning Interco Black Mambas through muck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
With the right kit for my type of ridding how long should a belt
Last, I do like to play in the mud and I always play in low gear,
I have been thru 3 belts in less than two years and my ride was
On the side line for 7 months last year due to a firing problem.
I think belt slippage is what has saved my axles all these years

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Outlaw 44. Your problem is those outlaws. You definately need to upgrade the clutch if you want to lengthen your belt life. As far as how much life to expect out of your belt is all up to how you ride. Ensuring that you use low gear when needed. You will also need to know when to quit when trying to spin outlaws in thick mud. A clutch kit is going to lengthen your belt life, but not make it impossible to break.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
would try a QSC if i can get it to ontario canada without cost an arm and leg and i noticed there are a few different styles need to know what to order and where to order from

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
would try a QSC if i can get it to ontario canada without cost an arm and leg and i noticed there are a few different styles need to know what to order and where to order from

Contact Ridinagain, Ryan will ship via USPS, and will set you up with exactly what you need/want.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
k thanks

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Canada shipping its only $20 usps priority. No bad brown truck here! Most kits are $219 plus shipping. A select few models and years also get a helix and are an additional $100. Pm me for specifics or feel free to call 8-6mon-sat 651-707-6706

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Canada shipping its only $20 usps priority. No bad brown truck here! Most kits are $219 plus shipping. A select few models and years also get a helix and are an additional $100. Pm me for specifics or feel free to call 8-6mon-sat 651-707-6706
pm sent

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pm sent hopefully

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
are there 06 efi 500 sportsman with out EBS it say when i look up the model it is standard

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
They change it from year to year all the time so I can never keep track of what does and doesn't. That's why I always ask when someone orders something to be sure. I think that had the weird 3 roller- button style helix in it that they only used on a couple years and models.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts