Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what a clutch kit will do for me. Pros?? Cons?? I put one on my 2010 850 sportsman and it seemed to help with shifting and helped to get the front end up when I wanted to wheelie. So I guess my question is, what else will it help with/do for my 1000? The front end comes up without any effort and it's very torquey plus I have no problem with the way it's shifts. I'm all about mod's and ad ons and want to know a clutch kit is worth the $$ before I do the spending. Thought??

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Only one I've seen for them yet is qsc, and I can tell you from watching it run on the dyno during development and riding it before and after there's a lot to be gained there. Almost 6hp at the wheels from clutching alone. Dam good gains for $219 IMO.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey ridin, my kit has 3 different settings, I want to go the most aggressive setting which I believe kicks it in at 2200rpm it says. I'm thinking that would be great for sand (kind of narrow trails/shoots around here), what do you think? I'd probly switch out for trail riding but I think that setting might be good for on/off throttle and good starts at the bottom of a steep climb

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you're not doing much tight technical riding then the higher engagements work great. Makes it launch harder and much sportier than the lower engagement does. Still smooth too. The good part is that it's not hard to add or remove shims so you can change it out fairly quickly ant try a different setup.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is one expected to loose many mph's on the top end if a kit is installed? how hard is it to install one? I have been thinkin about getting one for my 850? or would I be better off getting a chip and filter?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks ridin, just what I needed to hear! I'll have it shimmed right up and see what it's like. I got stock tires at the moment on my 850 and the big mudders on the 1000 and she barely pulls on that 850 now. Hoping the clutching will bring it back up to speed

·
Registered
294 Posts
Havent got to race my 850 yet since the kit was put in, but it's ridiculous on the bottom end and very smooth. Love it

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Woods runner, the best thing you can do for an 850 or 550XP is a clutch kit. They flat out suck from the factory. No top end loss that bigger tires. Didn't already take. Not hard to install at all. Only special thing needed is something to compress secondary to remove and install a different spring.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Woods runner, the best thing you can do for an 850 or 550XP is a clutch kit. They flat out suck from the factory. No top end loss that bigger tires. Didn't already take. Not hard to install at all. Only special thing needed is something to compress secondary to remove and install a different spring.
Sure wish there was an install vid on this...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
go on you tube is all kinds of videos on the Polaris with putting in clutch kit
EPI has a bunch of video's

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
That was aimed directly at Ryan..... he knows what I'm talkin about
Thanks tho Indy.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
No problem

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Sure wish there was an install vid on this...
Quit sitting around looking at it on your bench and get it over here. :yahootongue: Then we can record it and put it up.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You seem to be confusing me with someone who HAS NOT YET had one installed and recorded one...........

Hmmm hmmmm Lolly......

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You read threads like me....half way
Lol

Your site?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts