Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok who has them installed on the scrambler 850 and what kind of improvements have you noticed. Looking for faster out of the corner/ out of the hole.

·
Registered
333 Posts
so does that mean you are saying they are happy with the clutch kits?
I'm looking for more torque out-of-the-hole too
Something to pop the front end up on ground too

There are so many options out there.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got ahold of airdam clutches. this is the message he sent me.

Airdam Clutches

yessir. the complete setup i have of a new primary and a new belt will completely change your machine. faster acceleration, stronger out of the hole. twice as much clamping force as stock to keep you from ever slipping a belt.

almost 5mph faster in 300ft

it accelerates like a rocket.

the new primary and longer belt is $835 + shipping

Really cant see my self spending that kind of money on cutching thow.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Everyone I've sold one to loves them. Airdam, Yeah.... Not needed. Unless you have a can am. Then.... well, still not needed. The QSC stuff is cheaper, and better IMO. Complete clutch kit for a 850 scrambler is a set of weights, and springs for both clutches. Will give big gains on bottom and mid range pull, faster backsift to keep power on tap coming out of the corners. Requires less throttle to get the tires spinning in the mud and goo, so less chance of snapping an axle. 2-3mph loss on top end is the only disadvantage. Takes out the 0-20 waiting for the rubber band to stretch feeling, smooths out engagement-especially in reverse, pulls wheelies in high gear easily, and only costs $219 plus shipping. In stock and ready to ship after thanksgiving.

The Polaris primary is light years ahead of the airdam design in efficiency, durability, and ease of tuning. You couldn't give ma an airdam to run on a Polaris. I'd take it over a can am primary though.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I may be interested, but probably after Christmas. Does either spring require a clutch puller to get at? Do you know the part number of it or who sells one? My Scram has the 0-20 waiting for the rubber band feeling. Giving up some top end is not a problem. I am never going to go that fast anyway. I want the feeling of 4.10 gears in a Mustang, lol Thanks

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
why the MPH loss with your Kit
I can see that with gearing down or different tires or lighter weights or 2 much spring

·
Registered
901 Posts
I put a qsc kit on my 09 850xp I liked it mine was a non ho even with the kit I still got beat by buddys 800 Max XT but it does launch better and its much smoother worth the money only sucky part is all the stuff you have to remove to get to it and I didnt need any special tools ecxept to compress the secondary QSC makes good stuff I got a full primary from them coming with a STM secondary cant wait to get it

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the airdam set up in mine. I took my bike to him since I'm local and I like the setup he put in my bike.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
No special tools needed, no need to remove the primary, just the cover. The wind up feeling will be gone and the power is there instantly with these kits.

Indy, I think the couple MPH off the top is more typical of the guys running heavier or bigger tires. If you don't tell people to expect a little loss on top, if it happens they get upset about it. You've been clutching stuff long enough to know that in a CVT there is a little give and take to get what you want out of them. A drag setup is much different than a speed run setup, even with the same gearing. The QSC weights have a very aggressive profile to give the bottom and mid range that they are designed for and that most guys seem to want on their machines. Very few can actually go over 45-50mph on any trails they ride and would prefer to have more power down low so Adam designed them to give up a little tiny bit on top that a very small percentage of people actually use in trade off.

I've run the Dalton kit you have too and it works well, just prefer the bottom end of the QSC over the Dalton.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I will get one next week from you, will get ahold of you next week
stock tires flat trail riding wanting that punch out of the corner and 0 to 500 ft times
I will work on the 2 to 3 mph loss and get that back In the shift out and RPM

thanks for now mike

·
Registered
325 Posts
Will give big gains on bottom and mid range pull, faster backsift to keep power on tap coming out of the corners.
I've been reading a lot about clutches and kits and always read the "faster backshift" part and, frankly, I don't want faster backshift. I race my Scrambler and it gets downright scary on those steep downhills. If I let off the throttle all the way the back tires pull so hard to slow me down that it's sometimes uncontrollable and always hair-raising. I definitely have to be on my game for the downhills, which is fine on the first lap, but as the race wears on I get tired and can loose focus and throttle control.

So after all of that, can you put a kit together that lets me pull the frontend up off the line and rolling 15 MPH without all the backshift? Or would something like an Airdam clutch be better?

Thanks for your help, this CVT learning curve is pretty steep.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Indy, I'm sure you can get the top back with a little work. I'll send you a couple primary springs to try also.

Louisanaxcracer, what you're probably experiencing is the EBS, not the backshift of the clutches. That is one of the things that many don't like about having EBS, but the majority do like it for the same reasons. However, you could try the stock secondary spring but it will shift out even faster with the QSC weights in the primary since they grab harder in the low and mid. That may cause it to feel loaded down instead of light and snappy.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Everyone I've sold one to loves them. Airdam, Yeah.... Not needed. Unless you have a can am. Then.... well, still not needed. The QSC stuff is cheaper, and better IMO. Complete clutch kit for a 850 scrambler is a set of weights, and springs for both clutches. Will give big gains on bottom and mid range pull, faster backsift to keep power on tap coming out of the corners. Requires less throttle to get the tires spinning in the mud and goo, so less chance of snapping an axle. 2-3mph loss on top end is the only disadvantage. Takes out the 0-20 waiting for the rubber band to stretch feeling, smooths out engagement-especially in reverse, pulls wheelies in high gear easily, and only costs $219 plus shipping. In stock and ready to ship after thanksgiving.

The Polaris primary is light years ahead of the airdam design in efficiency, durability, and ease of tuning. You couldn't give ma an airdam to run on a Polaris. I'd take it over a can am primary though.
I am not on here to argue with you, I know you are selling a product and need to promote it, but the QSC kit is not going to be better than airdam. Heck, I run a QSC kit because it is the best bolt on kit out there in my opinion, and is reasonably priced. That being said, if you want the most out of your machine, airdam is the way to go. There are multiple stages of machining and tuning that you can get specific for your atv. You will have your gains in low and mid, and yes, even on the top end. So, in closing, if you are a trail rider, whether it be sand, mud, rocks, hardpack, I agree that QSC will get the job done. If you have competitive racing in mind, then Airdam is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
well I don't see airdam on here helping people with clutch problems , even if they don't have QSC, Ridinagain helps allot of people, maybe if Airdam comes on here and helps ATV'ers with tech ?'s for FREE it would be a different story
I cannot give a Opinion on airdam have not try'ed there clutches yet, but I do know Ridinagain is helping allot of people whether they buy from him or not

·
Registered
5,753 Posts

I am not on here to argue with you, I know you are selling a product and need to promote it, but the QSC kit is not going to be better than airdam. Heck, I run a QSC kit because it is the best bolt on kit out there in my opinion, and is reasonably priced. That being said, if you want the most out of your machine, airdam is the way to go. There are multiple stages of machining and tuning that you can get specific for your atv. You will have your gains in low and mid, and yes, even on the top end. So, in closing, if you are a trail rider, whether it be sand, mud, rocks, hardpack, I agree that QSC will get the job done. If you have competitive racing in mind, then Airdam is the way to go.
I really don't want to start an argument ether, but people need the facts. Airdam makes a decent product, but not the best. It is a 60 year old clutch design that requires a bunch of machining to make it work better than the stock Polaris P85. QSC primarys for can am are a modified team/p85 to fit the shorter housing of the can am clutch covers. The towers are shortened and custom cover because of it. Guess what every one of the top finishers at the mud nationals is running for clutching, including the factory teams. QSC. Only about 2% of the race teams run anything else. Unfortunately that means that almost all the top competitors are on Can Ams, not polaris. :str:

2013 Event Results

I, as well as Indy have been around a lot of snowmobile racing. Almost everyone runs the Polaris primary, and if possible their secondary, on the race sleds. Because they are very efficient, relatively inexpensive, and superior to all the others. Same clutch as the ATV's.

The reason you don't see a lot of clutch options for Polaris is because what they come with is superior to almost all others out there.

Thanks for the support Indy. :beerchug:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Louisanaxcracer, what you're probably experiencing is the EBS, not the backshift of the clutches. That is one of the things that many don't like about having EBS, but the majority do like it for the same reasons. However, you could try the stock secondary spring but it will shift out even faster with the QSC weights in the primary since they grab harder in the low and mid. That may cause it to feel loaded down instead of light and snappy.
Ok, thanks for the info. As I said, I'm new to the CVT world. Light and snappy is the way I want it so I can raise the frontend over obstacles even when going 15-20 mph. I have no problem with the efficiency of the clutching now, it is very smooth an linear, just looking for more snap. I'm sure you can taylor a kit for me. I plan to give you a call after I get through the Christmas season and get to January when I'll start prepping my quad for next season. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ridinagain I will be ordering a kit through you next week. Thanks for the info. Still would like to hear some positive results from 850 owners running the qsc kit. especially with stock sized tires

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If no one else chimes in, you could do a quick search and you sill find a lot of info on these kits and reviews from people here and on other forums as well.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts