Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
14,990 Posts
I couldn't get the video either. If its a chirping, belt squeal sound then you may need some minor adjustment to the clutches Duse.... OR....
What Gates belt did you use?
IIRC, I think you have a 2015 850 SP? Is that Correct?
23R or C or G 3856 is the correct belt number for your machine.
23R or C or G 3836 was used on the older model 850 XP. I have seen that belt listed on ebay and elsewhere as fitting ALL 850s. There is a slight dimensional difference between the two belts. The reason I ask is that the similar numbers are easy to overlook. I mistakenly installed a 3836 I had in stock at the garage on my buddy's 850 last year while I had his machine in for clutch servicing. I was sure I had the clutches in good shape and the belt worked ok but was noisy with squeaking and chirping and a little hard to shift when cold. Took some head scratching and double checking by me to figure out my mistake lol.

IOW... Double check your belt number?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I couldn't get the video either. If its a chirping, belt squeal sound then you may need some minor adjustment to the clutches Duse.... OR....
What Gates belt did you use?
IIRC, I think you have a 2015 850 SP? Is that Correct?
23R or C or G 3856 is the correct belt number for your machine.
23R or C or G 3836 was used on the older model 850 XP. I have seen that belt listed on ebay and elsewhere as fitting ALL 850s. There is a slight dimensional difference between the two belts. The reason I ask is that the similar numbers are easy to overlook. I mistakenly installed a 3836 I had in stock at the garage on my buddy's 850 last year while I had his machine in for clutch servicing. I was sure I had the clutches in good shape and the belt worked ok but was noisy with squeaking and chirping and a little hard to shift when cold. Took some head scratching and double checking by me to figure out my mistake lol.

IOW... Double check your belt number?
Have you tried the link again? I think i got it working?
23R3856
YEP,,,2015 850 Sportsman

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update,,,, I believe I found the issue.
Actually it could have been 1 of 2 issues but I dont think the second issue is possible .
So Im sticking with option 1
The problem I had,,,I BELIEVE,, I had the shims in the wrong place.
I think I had the shims between 14 & 15 instead of 15 &1.
As of now the noise is gone.
(I am still running 5 shims(which polaris says not to have more than 4) but 4 shims still has the belt running on the motor side sheave on the primary clutch,,,so 5 it is.
Font Line Auto part Circle Diagram

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
It's just the luck of the draw my 2018 Sportsman xp 1000 sounds like that right after I got it with the OEM belt and I also had a video on YouTube.
I put on a Gates Carbon C12 since and the noise is gone.
Hunterworks has some videos on the problem and most of the time a clutch kit or new belt will make it sound worse till it's broken in good.
My advice is running the hell out of it and get a loud RJWC exhaust.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's just the luck of the draw my 2018 Sportsman xp 1000 sounds like that right after I got it with the OEM belt and I also had a video on YouTube.
I put on a Gates Carbon C12 since and the noise is gone.
Hunterworks has some videos on the problem and most of the time a clutch kit or new belt will make it sound worse till it's broken in good.
My advice is running the hell out of it and get a loud RJWC exhaust.
Hopefully thats not the case. Put the shims where they were supposed to be and seems to have taken care of the issue.My case was apparently sipping to much shine while working on the bike. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts