Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i am having trouble with my 2002 500 Ho sportsman. The clutch will not completely disengage and keeps enough grip to move it and makes it extremely hard to shift into gear. I took it apart, and the part that the belt rides on in the clutch free spins and moves a little left and right. If I take and pull the belt by hand to the left( Away from the engine) it works fine but as soon as you give it gas it moves back over and wont fully let go. How do I fix this ? Any ideas?

Is the center piece suppose to have play left to right on the clutch? also i pulled the drive pully off and the gap the belt rides on closed and will not open back up. is it spring loaded or what? is the fact that the clutch had play in the center the problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
#1 That's an EBS CLUTCH. And the center of the front clutch should be a one way roller. To adjust the belt there are spacers behind the rear clutch. That clutch is spring loaded to allow down shifts. That one way bearing in the front clutch is probably the biggest problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same problem

Had the same problem on my 02 500. Mine was the one way bearing hanging up. If aligning them doesn't help you can replace the one way bearing but it does require special tools to take clutch apart. I opted to just buy new clutch. Working great now. Hope you figure your problem out. I know how much a pain that is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How is the bearing messing it up ? The roller does not get stuck it rolls free but there is side to side play because the washers seem to have been worn down. So so i replace the washers or the whole thing ?

·
Registered
900 Posts
The one way bearing can mess it up because if the bearing is getting sticky (worn and not turning well) it will make the belt want to turn , even if it's riding in the middle of the primary clutch.
The one way bearing will still have a little side to side play even with new washers....
Your belt was doing the same thing mine was. I have an 01 sportsman. I tried moving the engine a little to the left to make the belt ride in the middle of the primary, it helped a little. I then added a washer to the secondary to make 2 washers. This worked well.
(I had to replace one of the existing washers with another that was 2 mm or 80 thous thicker) Once the belt stays in the center , it will shift much easier.

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts