Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently had to replace my belt for my scrambler (2nd time) i replaced it with a gates belt and not the oem one (same company) last week i ran into a problem though my ATV wont go any faster than 10-15mph it has plenty of power from 0-15 but once it reaches a certain speed the rpms increase just not the speed.

i thought the problem was just a worn out belt (considering the belt was very worn out) but i had it replaced in the summer worked fine for a few weeks than that replaced belt burned up Luckily i had a waranty on it so i swaped in the new one a couple weeks ago and the problem is still there

So in summary brand new belt speeds wont increase after 15 or so mph but the engine still has plenty of rpms

any help or advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was just reading another post about the kind of issue... after several posts back and forth, it was found that the buttons on the secondary clutch had warn allowing the clutch halves to "slip" one ramp therefore not allowing the clutch to fully engage the belt.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction at least!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you have a non-ebs machine then you probable have worn out buttons in the secondary. They are only about $9 each and easy to replace. Just need a snap ring pliers to get the helix out and change them. Otherwise basic hand tools.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
check and clean the front clutch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i have a handy snap ring tool i noticed the loss of top in the summer but when i replaced the belt originaly the problem went away for the most part until i rode it a few months later. i did notice the cover was getting hot the primary did move in and out i never noticed the secondary doing jack squat in idle but never got a chance to check with it jacked up

i dont ride often only in the summer and maybe once every few months in the offseason it will be a few weeks before i get to checking up on it i will most likely just take the secondary off and inspect it at one of my buddies shops since he has vices and other fancy tools.... how hard is it to clean the primary without removing it ? i dont have a clutch puller i do have tethlon tape and plenty of bolts
its none EBS . the previous Owner had a clutch kit put in to better suite there riding at mid range speed . Rick Rutter did the kit but i bought the atv 3 years ago

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
take the belt off and you can blow out the belt dust. A little brake cleaner or acetone to clean out any stubborn residue, red scotch brite or 400-600 grit sandpaper to take the glaze off the faces of both clutches. Just enough to take off the glaze, not to gouge them up. Go up and down from the outside, not around like the belt.

When you do the secondary, make sure you tension the spring before pushing the helix back in too. If you need to see it done, check Youtube. same concept as a snowmobile on if you can't find an ATV video.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm aware of the spring tension i checked out some epi clutch kit instal videos and other things the rest is some solid tips deff gonna clean the clutches real well and check out them stubborn buttons hopefully they arent to hard to remove and hopefully the helix is in good shape ... i'm braced for the worst though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts