Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 3500 or so miles on mine and my son's sportsman 400's I figured it was probably time to redo the clutches. Can anyone recommend a brand of kit such as EPI or should I use the factory parts. I have not priced anything out yet. But I want to do the primary and secondary clutches on both machines.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
I did my primary last winter with epi's rebuild kit. I had 2,500 miles at that point. The primary was getting there so everything was still in good shape. The secondary doesn't have much to it and was in really good shape. I will do the secondary at approximately 4,500 miles when I do the primary for the second time.

I did buy the hold down tool and spider socket.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Search this forum for;
"Aftermarket front clutch for my 500HO?" I used the complete Parts Ace clutch off of ebay ($269) for the whole thing. Was cheaper than the EPI parts and tools I'd have to buy to do the job. Only took a few minutes to do and gave me a top speed increase of about 8 mph

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
3,644 Posts
I have Parts Ace primary clutches on both my Magnums. They have held up well so far. Just a caution though....they are throw away units. No parts are available for them so they are not rebuildable.

If the sheaves are good on your old one, you will probably just need the weights and weight shafts with new bushings. Yes you have to have the tools to take it apart, which are not cheap. But in the long run I think rebuilding is a better option than replacement.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Search this forum for;
"Aftermarket front clutch for my 500HO?" I used the complete Parts Ace clutch off of ebay ($269) for the whole thing. Was cheaper than the EPI parts and tools I'd have to buy to do the job. Only took a few minutes to do and gave me a top speed increase of about 8 mph

You use one like this? And how well has it held up?

POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500 PRIMARY DRIVE CLUTCH 1996-2013 BRAND NEW | eBay
Yes that's the brand. I can't vouch for the longevity because I haven't run it that much yet, but it works perfectly.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I did my primary last winter with epi's rebuild kit. I had 2,500 miles at that point. The primary was getting there so everything was still in good shape. The secondary doesn't have much to it and was in really good shape. I will do the secondary at approximately 4,500 miles when I do the primary for the second time.

I did buy the hold down tool and spider socket.
How did the main bushings look?

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
Will the clutch was in good shape as were the main bushings. They are the Teflon coated metal type and there was no metal showing.

I had spoken with Ryan at RVSPerformance to pick his brain over the whole deal. He did say that at 2,500 miles I was premature in rebuilding it. I was OK with that as I had been itching to rip it apart.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
I should also add as kind of a rebuttal to cariboo's post that Ryan said an average rebuild should be done between 3,500-5,000 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts