Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I'd like to put together a list of the tools I'd need to do a clutch mod on my 2012 550 eps. I'd be doing it in my garage, on the floor. I have a jack and the basic wrenches and sockets etc. but I don't have a vise or specific clutch tools etc as I'm a rookie and haven't done this before. Have to say, I'm not looking forward to it, seems like major surgery to me but I like the idea of the benefits after.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
What mod are you looking to do? The list of tools to tear apart a primary and put it back together correctly can add up very quickly to over $600. And that's on the cheap side.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to install one of your clutch kits, having serious second thoughts now though....

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Don't need special tools to install one of their kits, can do the primary , change weights and spring on the machine, the secondary comes off without a puller, need large snap ring pliers, and a 25 torks, and a buddy so one can push the spring back down while the other5 puts the snap ring on, a piece 1/2 inch all thread , some nuts and large washers and you can do it by yourself. If you ask Ryan he probably has directions with the kit.Probably the best mod for the money youll ever do.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Only thing you truly need is a good pair of snap rings...I bought the craftsman professionals for $25 and they worked great. If you get a buddy to hold down the secondary while you put the snap ring on you don't need the compression tool.

Don't for get to mark your primary cover so you install it back the same way it came off ;)

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...ications/44347-qsc-clutch-kit-2012-850xp.html

Heres a link of the thread I used to help me install my kit. I was a little nervous about tearing into a clutch myself at the time. It doesn't all apply but if you read through it it will help. I installed a QSC kit before Ridinagain was a QSC dealer and he helped me through it. I made a homemade tool for the secondary using a long 8 inch bolt, washers and a couple nuts and my vise. You can leave the primary right in the machine as long as you are careful not to strip anything when tightening everything back up. I didn't see what machine you have but I think you can do this on any of them.

·
Registered
312 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Wow, you guys all covered like pros! Only time you need special tools is to remove the primary or rebuild it. Then you're talking a puller, jam nut socket, spider socket, holding fixture, REALLY BIG breaker bar, torque wrench that goes to 250Ft/Lbs, Shop press, dies to fit bushings to press out and in, and a few other little things that you can do without but make it easier. So, unless you're planning on doing a lot of clutch work it really doesn't pay to buy most of it. But to do the washers that wear next to the one way bearing you would just need puller, holder, breaker bar, torque wrench, and 2 sockets.

·
Registered
312 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great info and I've been looking into a clutch kit for my 800. I don't think it'll be that bad though, and just remember to make things, take your time and ask questions when you get stuck. Good luck and let us know how your install went!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated, I'm sure I'll be back with questions when the time comes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts