Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some clutch work for my 1996 polaris xplorer 300 because i just installed some new tires that are 1in larger on the front but more aggressive. My question is could i get away with just buying a clutch spring so i dont have to spend so much money on the full kit from epi? I need some input thanks.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Ok, I have the same unit bud! You went the wrong way! The way these are geared the fronts pull harder than the rears in 4x4! I went 1" larger in the rear to get it proper. Now all 4 pull the same. Looks wierd, but I'd rather have it right! As far as the clutch I tried a red spring in the front clutch and boy did it f--k up !!!! My RPM"S went to about 3,000 to even move it. I just ordered a Maroon spring from EPI to try. I "crawl" more than anything so I need it to apply the clutch sooner(closer to idle) So, a ligther spring and heavier weights are whats called for I think. Check out my sig. to see all I've done to mine! Any other questions just ask bud!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You need to keep the front and rear tires the same height, or it puts extra wear on your driveline. Just like having 2 different gear ratios in the front and rear diffs of a 4x4 truck. The best thing for the 300, is to either tighten the stock red secondary spring up one more preload setting( which will put it at the stiffest), or change it to a speedwerx white, which is way longer for more belt grip, but the same torsion tension. You will have to experiment with the preload of this spring in your bike, as I found it was a bit stiff for the 300. The stock red spring in the stiffest preload setting worked best. Also be sure to adjust the belt deflection to 1 1/8" be adding/removing shims as needed from between the secondary clutch sheaves. Lastly, have the primary clutch belt to sheave clearance adjusted tighter than factory, by removing/adjusting the thicknesses of shims under the spider, so you have no more than .020" clearance with a new belt. This is very important for best PVT operation, and is overlooked by many. How do I know this? I was a dealer from 1995 to 2001.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The 300's had different sizes from the factory. 22-8-10 on the front,24-11-10 on the rear. In 4x4 my fronts pulled harder the the rears, so I went 25-11-10 and now both ends pull equally. I did this in sand to be able to see what the wheels did while driving. If you check the sprockets have different ratios, front to rear. I tried the red EPI spring in my clutch for about 2 min.'s!! My RPM's went through the roof! Like 3,000 to just move! I took it out and got rid of it because I crawl with my quad, so It's most often just off idle while riding. Ialso tried a maroon EPI spring, didn't care for it eigther. I have a heavier set of weights coming, that's my next attempt. I want the thing to move if I even think of moving! I will check into the spacer idea also. Sounds right. Let you guys know!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts